• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Floorstanders for £400 ?

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
As title says, I have £400ish to spend on a pair of floorstanders, I've been looking at the Kef IQ7se but is there any others that are better that i should consider in this price bracket?

I appreciate your suggetions...

Extra info: Room is 5m x 4m and the speakers will be powered by a Denon 3808 for 2-channel stereo only but in the near future i plan to get a power amp to run them using the 3808's pre-outs

cribeiro

Hello Soldier_I,

is there any special reason why you want floorstanders?

I ask because you can get good bookshelf speakers that will sacrifice the lowest bass for a better performance in the rest of the spectrum. Specially for that sort of money. And believe it or, you will not miss that lowest notes (unless you have met them before :devil:). Most music does not have much content below 50Hz, which a good bookshelf (or better yet, "standmount") speaker can reach. An I guess you'll be adding a subwoofer at some point, which will then show you what real bass is :D

In any case, I'd recommend that you make a short list and go audition, since they will all sound quite different and only your ears can decide which ones you like better.

Kef is indeed a good choice, but you can also consider Monitor Audio, B&W, Dynaudio, Tannoy, PMC (maybe above your price range), Epos, Quad, MJ Acoustics, Acoustic Energy,Klipsch... All of them will sound different, but try to listen for an extended period, since first impressions may deceive you.

Edit: I see you have some M&K, so I wonder if you are building a second system, or you want to upgrade... And you have also an M&K subwoofer, so you actually know what bass sounds like ;)

Last edited:

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply. I already have a surround sound setup with my existing M&K's which i'm more than happy with for movies and tv but the K17's are not that great when it comes to playing 2-channel music especially with increased volume, but then to be fair thats not what they were built for.

I'm looking at floorstanders purely due to asthetics and no where to put bookshelf speakers :cool:

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I would seriously suggest looking around second hand. Speakers like PMC GB1s are cropping up for £460 as an example. They're in another league compared to the budget crop.

Russell

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
I would seriously suggest looking around second hand. Speakers like PMC GB1s are cropping up for £460 as an example. They're in another league compared to the budget crop.

Russell

Really? I never even thought of these :rolleyes:

This is exactly the information i need, if they really are in another league compared to the 'new speaker' price range i'm looking at i could probably go to £450ish for a decent second hand pair...

Any ideas where to look? There's nothing on ebay atm...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom