1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Floorstanders for £400 - £500...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MrP 2001, Feb 25, 2003.

1. MrP 2001

MrP 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Been an avid fan of B&W speakers since I bought a pair of 602 S3's a year ago. However a friend of mine knocked one of my speakers off its stand and buggered the tweeter. He is going to give me £275 to replace them.

Therefore I have an opportunity to upgrade!!

Now I was thinking of saving up and getting a pair of 603 S3's but thats going to be £600 quid. Are they worth £600?? If not wants a good alternative as a floorstander for around £400 - 500. Or should I save up for the B&W's as I really like the sound of the 602's.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated so I can have a listen to what you guys suggest - rather than listening to what the salesman suggests!!!

Cheers
    Patrick

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You know you can ring up B&W and they may send you a replacement tweeter totally free of charge (don't tell your friend this, heh)? Their customer service is excellent. Quite easy to fit yourself too - just remove the bass driver, unscrew the front baffle and ease it off (taking care not to tug on the internal cabling). The tweeter assembly has no fixings whatsoever. It's a twist-fit and extremely easy to remove/install. If you don't fancy doing that I'll buy the speakers off you (serious). :)

The 603s are great, yes (go and get a demo if you are interested), but I would urge you to get your 602s repaired and consider buying a decent sub. £275 would be enough to totally cover the cost of a secondhand REL Q100E or new Velodyne VX-10, and go along way towards the purchase of a Velodyne CHT-10 or one of the mid-range B&W subs.

MuFu.

3. MrP 2001

MrP 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Result!!!

Cheers mate for that. I will get on to them tomorrow. And I will also inform my friend that Sevenoaks HiFi charge £50 for a new tweeter :D :D at which his must pay!!

So in your opinion rather than me sell the B&W's, get a decent sub instead. I listen to music 80% of the time rather than surround - will a sub and floorstands combo be better than some floorstanders?? Also, what subs can you recommend that will be able to follow my Yamaha amp with volume (i.e. won't distort when ive got it cranked up) and will be best with music.

Cheers again mate (its very rare that you get these things for 'free'!!!)

Patrick

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    :thumbsdow
    I am glad I am NOT your mate

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's not really my business to get into the morality of MrP 2001's situation so I tried to avoid the subject. That comment was just a joke.

MuFu.

6. MrP 2001

MrP 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont u worry!! I spoke to my mate and he is a tad relieved to say the least!!

So anyone got any sub suggestions for say £200 - £300....

Cheers
    Pat

7. MrP 2001

MrP 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turned out to be £31.50 for a new tweeter all in all (not free :()

But I don't think thats bad for a B&W Tweeter... My mate best get his wallet out after all!