Best floor standing speaker for 4K

jensK

Thanks, I am actually trying to audition the slimline Opera Callas SP there- always keeps coming from Italy, but never quite makes it!

Sorry this is a bit off topic- but Opera do also make beautifully crafted £4k speakers!

Thanks for that proukakis.
I like the looks of the Opera speakers as well and the good thing is that KJWestOne has Opera speakers as well. So I can see those as well.

jensK

I am looking for a new pair of floor standing loudspeakers. The main use for them would for music and I my budget is in the range of 4K. I have no preference for the optics, but some slightly more elegant speakers looking speakers could get the thumps up from the wife. The room size is 30 *20 ft.

I compiled a list of speaker companies below, but I am SURE you can help me to expand the list.

I intend to use this list as a helpful resource to study what is on offer in the UK and everyone else is invited to use the listing as well.

Acapella These guys have some really amazing pictures on their webpage!! WAF = 0 points
Acoustic Energy
ALR Jordan
Anthony Gallo
Aerial
Ascendo ---> have a look at this link ->>>> Click on System M and then on the pic
Art
Artcoustic
Audica
Audio Physic
Audio Pro
AVI
B&M Leading German high end active speaker producer:D
BC Acoustique
BK
Bose
Boston Acoustics
Bower & Wilkins
Cabasse
Canton
Celestion
Chario
Dali
Duevel
Dynaudio
Eben
Elac
Eltax
Epos
Final
Focal
Gale
GamuT
genelec
Hansen
Harbeth
Heco
Infinity
Jamo
JAS Audio
JBL
Kef
Klipsch
Krell
Linn
Living Voice
Mackie
M&K
Magnat
Magnepan
Martin Logan
MBL
Meridian
Mission
Monitor Audio
MA Platinumseries
Mordaunt Short
Naim
Neat
Peak Consult
PSB
Onkyo
Opera
Pioneer
PMC
ProAc
Q Acoustics
Quad
Quadral
Rega
REL
Revel
Roksan
Ruark
Sequence
Snell
Sonos
Sonus Faber
Sony
Steinway Lyngdorf
SpeakerCraft
Spendor
Stirling
SVS
System Audio
Tannoy
TDL
Teufel
Thiel
Totem
Triangle
Usher
Velodyne
Vivid Audio
Visaton
Wharfedale
Wilson Audio
Yamaha
Zingali

PS: I am still adding content to this list 20 Sept. 2007.
added Ascendo, BC Acoustique, Hansen, Neat, PSB, Zingali, 21 Sept. 2007
Aerial, Genelec 23 Sept. 2007
Added more stuff Sept 2009
Added more speakers 22 Sept 2009

P

Peter Galbavy

I have not had the privilege of spening 4K on a pair of speakers before (yet!), and the Focal 826W pair I have on order will "only" be £1,850 odd. But from what I read of the other owner's opinions the Electra 1027Be/1037Be range are stunning and near the 4K price bracket I think.

Also, I saw the Pioneers mentioned. I suggest contacting TLC Broadcast (one of the forum sponsors I think) as while they deal mainly is the visual products I know they stock the AV amps and have prices on some of the speaker ranges.

Like others have said, make sure you get the right amp to drive whatever you get and audition them together first!

Last edited by a moderator:

jensK

Just had a listen to some Martin Logan speakers during my lunchbreak and I have to say they were impressively good. Altough, it was the smallest of the ML range. These speakers come very close to what I hoped to get out of a speaker.

I am happy to give the Focal speakers a try. I heard good things about them, but I have not seen them in a shop. Have you seen them somewhere in London/Cambridge/Oxford?

I was chasing the Pioneer speakers for a while (send an email to Pioneer - no reply), but I haven't been succesful in finding a dealer.

P

Peter Galbavy

I think that various Audio T stores may carry the Focals in the price range you are looking. Talk to Paul @ Brentwood branch, who I have dealt with in the past - and am doing so for my new gear at the moment. Just a quick looks shows that my memory is correct and they are showing an ex-demo pair of 1027Be @ £3,500 - which means that they will demo them for you :)

Online Store - Audio T

I see that TLC list the Pioneers, but at £8K, so I think this may just be a filler in the stock list rather than an active product:

Pioneer - S-1EX-QL - EX Reference Series 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers

You can of course ask them for more real info - they are in Borehamwood (bottom of A1(M), North London). I bought my Plamsa from them a couple of years ago and was more than happy with them. Can't say much else re speakers.

jensK

Cheers Peter,

both places are too far away from home. So might pay them a visit.

Davieboy00

I have these

View the 803S at Bowers & Wilkins - The World's leading Hi Fi Brand

I think the list price is about £4200 at the moment. New from a dealer price should be about £4k but there is an ex-dem pair kicking about after a search for £3700.

I love them to bits. I can listen to them for hours on end and never get tired of them. I have seen myself having 6 or 7 hour listening sessions. That is how much I love them.

BTW - Those Acapella speakers are just mental. Love them :smashin:

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Have you been auditioning speakers for two years?

That's what I was wondering. You might end up earning yourself a reputation at a number of dealers as being a bit of a tyre kicker that never actually buys anything. I'm not meaning to suggest that you are of course, but there are plenty of people who do waste a lot of dealer's time without the intention of ever buying anything and most dealers, including myself, learn to recognise some of these faces when they come in again and will steer a wide berth around them.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Just had a listen to some Martin Logan speakers during my lunchbreak and I have to say they were impressively good. Although, it was the smallest of the ML range. These speakers come very close to what I hoped to get out of a speaker.
And with only £4K to spend, you probably aren't going to get much closer either. So unless you are prepared to spend rather more, it's time take a punt and buy the "impressively good" speakers "that come very close to what I hoped to get out of a speaker".

Vipers

I see that TLC list the Pioneers, but at £8K, so I think this may just be a filler in the stock list rather than an active product:

Pioneer - S-1EX-QL - EX Reference Series 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers

You can of course ask them for more real info - they are in Borehamwood (bottom of A1(M), North London). I bought my Plamsa from them a couple of years ago and was more than happy with them. Can't say much else re speakers.

These are an active product as I was over at TLC on Sunday for the BD player shootout and we used them for testing BD audio, they are a beautiful looking speaker which sound amazing especially when the Denon AVP/POA is powering them, defiantely worth an audition.

I'm in the same position at the moment, looking for a good floorstanding speaker, I'm drawn towards the PMC PB1i's at the moment, I just want to check with PMC that they will be OK in the space I have, even though I've been assured by a couple of dealers they will be ok.

Jon P

At TLC we have the Pioneer S-3EX speakers (rrp £4995) but not the 1ex's as pioneer UK don't seem to be in a position to be able to supply them easily. The S-3's have certainly impressed. Japanese speakers often get frowned on but these really do seem to give a detailed clear sound and they also look the part. We should be having both some EB1 and OB1's to us shortly as well as the KEF reference speakers it will be interesting to sit down and have a good listen to each.

jensK

Have you been auditioning speakers for two years?

Scatterbug,

I had a small break form the AV world, because life has sometimes some surprises in store for you and then looking for a speaker becomes a low priority. However there is sunshine after every cloud and now is a sunny period. So I am looking again at speakers and so on.

Jens

Vipers

At TLC we have the Pioneer S-3EX speakers (rrp £4995) but not the 1ex's as pioneer UK don't seem to be in a position to be able to supply them easily. The S-3's have certainly impressed. Japanese speakers often get frowned on but these really do seem to give a detailed clear sound and they also look the part. We should be having both some EB1 and OB1's to us shortly as well as the KEF reference speakers it will be interesting to sit down and have a good listen to each.

My Mistake, sorry Jon. I must admit after hearing the S-3's they seem to be a bit of a bargain, if you can call £5000 a bargain :) as they sound and look stunning.

I'm finding choosing the right speakers for my needs to be the hardest part of getting my setup how I want it, I found everything else relatively easy, I thought I'd go with either the PMC OB1's or PB1's but now I've seen and heard the S-3's its not as easy a decision as I thought.

Don't let me listen to the Kef Reference's whatever you do Jon, I've been given the green light to go for the PB's if I want but I think the Kef's will be pushing it slightly :)

jensK

Viper & Jon,

Thank you very much for the confirmation that the Pioneer speakers are in store at TLC. I tried to locate them for a while, but I had no luck so far. I send a email to Pioneer UK and phoned a couple of Pioneer dealers, but no one had them. Borehamwood is not too far from home. So I am more than happy to go there and hear them myself.

Jon, I agree that the Pioneer S-3EX speakers are good looking speakers as well.

Thanks

scatterbug

Scatterbug,

I had a small break form the AV world, because life has sometimes some surprises in store for you and then looking for a speaker becomes a low priority. However there is sunshine after every cloud and now is a sunny period. So I am looking again at speakers and so on.

Jens

Cool. Well may you have many sunny days ahead and find your perfect set of speakers.

Vipers

Viper & Jon,

Thank you very much for the confirmation that the Pioneer speakers are in store at TLC. I tried to locate them for a while, but I had no luck so far. I send a email to Pioneer UK and phoned a couple of Pioneer dealers, but no one had them. Borehamwood is not too far from home. So I am more than happy to go there and hear them myself.

Jon, I agree that the Pioneer S-3EX speakers are good looking speakers as well.

Thanks

No Problem jensK, I'll look forward to hearing your feedback, I think you'll be pretty impressed and thats before you've even heard them :) they really do make an impact. I've been measuring up tonight to see if I could squeeze them into my living room but it really is going to be to tight, unfortunately.

jensK

Vipers,

I will keep you posted how the auditions goes. Although, I might wait till half term and family is on holiday. Normal weedends are quiet busy and there is not much time to fit in auditions.

My living room should be big enough, but wife might have different opinion.....

Just noticed that you are from Stevenage. I am based in Hitchin.

Cheers

Last edited:

Sounds Good

Hi, I hope I'm not too late to add to this...

I have spent the last couple of months looking for speakers too in a similar price range. I also considered the Pioneers after reading about them. I auditioned the obvious choice of B&W 803S and 803D, then Linn Akurate 242, Tannoy Definition DC10 (I'm told a centre and surrounds will be added soon) and then finally Klipsch Palladium P-37F which is what I finally settled on.

The Klipsch Palladiums were a far less obvious choice and took a little time time to track down, I found a pair to demo at a place called Audio Emotion, I went to the store to audition them however I'm pretty sure they offer to send demo sets out to try in your home with your own equipment.

They offer a well matched centre and surrounds. My P-37F speakers arrived today (early days but so far so good). The RRP for the P-37F is around £5700, I checked out some more expensive options and these were by far the best in my opinion, the dealer owns a pair too which is a great recommendation!

There are no reviews as yet, however there are some great reviews of the Klipsch Palladium P-39F which is the range topper with an RRP of £15,000. The P-37F uses the same tweeter and midrange and employes the same bass drivers, just smaller, good use of trickle down technology.

I thought I'd add these great speakers to the mix as there are a lot of options out there but some are a little less obvious than others.

I've enclosed a link if anyone's interested Palladium

I hope this is of some help.

Bas.fawlty

Standard Member
Wanting to spend £4000 on a pair of speakers implies a total system cost of £20000 yes 20 thousand pounds. Is this correct? If so, good one. If not you have your priorities skewed. The most expensive part of your system should be your Source, ie CD player, Tuner, Turntable so on. If you don't extract accurately every nuance from the media your playing, the speakers will simply amplify the faults. As the old saying goes crap in, crap out. Good luck.

t72bogie

Novice Member
I'd go for Gallo Reference 3.1s... You could afford the Bass amp as well. They could also be the basis of an AV system as well (reference centre speaker + ADivas or Dues as rears).

exactly the set-up I have :smashin:

I use the Reference 3.1s as front main pair, they make excellent 2 channel speakers, ...with 10" bass drivers and 22Hz, dont need a sub to fill them out for music

then I have Reference AV centre and Surrounds - these go down to 55Hz and are the best "surrounds" Ive heard....if a little odd looking on the wall LOL ;)

however that lot will be £5500 retail, but if you shop around there are deals out there

I auditioned them at a posh hi-fi shop in San Francisco (whilst there on business few years back) and the Gallo range was their "entry level" - the kind of place where £25,50,100K speakers were common place

they reckoned the £2500 Gallos cost them a lot sales of higher end kit :smashin:

Now Ive moved house, if buying again, I want the hi-fi more discreet and would have probably gone for mid-high end Artcoustic set-up or PMC wafers etc....

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The most expensive part of your system should be your Source, ie CD player, Tuner, Turntable so on. If you don't extract accurately every nuance from the media your playing, the speakers will simply amplify the faults.
Whilst the general tenet is correct, the specific figures in play here mean you need to consider the fundamental properties of relative error. Put simply, very few people can tell the difference between a CD player at £4000 and one at £2000 in double blind testing, whereas doing this with speakers is rather easier.

A simpler way to look at it is to look at published specs. Here's the spec for a popular British £1000 CDP:
Signal to noise ratio: 109dB (20Hz–20kHz bandwidth)
Harmonic distortion (1kHz): 0.002%
Frequency response (±0.5dB): 0.3Hz–20kHz
Spending more isn't going to yield much of an improvement (and I know that figures only tell part of the story). Speakers aren't even playing the same numbers game (look at the THD figures, then cringe in horror), even at over £10000. With LP no longer part of the mainstream audio replay chain, speakers are the weakest link by a long way. For most it's "perfection in, crap out".

The second consideration is that your speakers are used for all sources, so your return on investment as a function of time used is greater for the speakers (and amp) than for the source.

I run £4000 speakers, and expect to pay this sort of figure for speakers (my ideal "upgrade" is the £13000 Martin Logan Summit X), but would have great difficulty justifying forking out £2000 for a CD player.

Last edited:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Once you get to speakers in the £3kish price point that are generally 4 ohms (or less) and sometimes low sensitivites, a speaker that's say £20k isn't going to be that much harder to drive. So once you reach a certain level of amplification, you can continue to upgrade the speaker until the usual system component ratio is completely, as you say, skewed. It's all down to what works with what.

I know what I mean, even if this makes no sense to anyone else :)

t72bogie

Novice Member
I have the same logic as Mark (above)

I can tell the difference between speakers quite easily, but in source components it can be pay 10X more to get 5% difference...not good VFM in my book .....

but my source is blu-ray, and I only have a top end consumer one, £500 ish, because I really cant tell the difference on a £3K one...maybe its just me ;)

so my kit breaks down to:

sources - £500 each at most for CD, BR, media player, HDDVD

speakers - £5500 (paid £3K imported)

sub - £3000 (paid £1250, refurbished)

processing £1500 (to be upgraded possibly, again, need to hear the difference of what £3-4K is bringing me)

power amps £3000 (£1600, discounted)

cables etc £500

Display £3000

so thats £18K at retail new, but the most expensive source was a £500 blu-ray player

I dont buy my kit based on mathematical percentages, I buy what does the job, and sounds good for the price, if a source component costs 10x more, I want to be able to hear *some* difference, and as yet, I havnt ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021