Best floor standing speaker for 4K

jensK

I am looking for a new pair of floor standing loudspeakers. The main use for them would for music and I my budget is in the range of 4K. I have no preference for the optics, but some slightly more elegant speakers looking speakers could get the thumps up from the wife. The room size is 30 *20 ft.

I compiled a list of speaker companies below, but I am SURE you can help me to expand the list.

I intend to use this list as a helpful resource to study what is on offer in the UK and everyone else is invited to use the listing as well.

Acapella These guys have some really amazing pictures on their webpage!! WAF = 0 points
Acoustic Energy
ALR Jordan
Anthony Gallo
Aerial
Ascendo ---> have a look at this link ->>>> Click on System M and then on the pic
Art
Artcoustic
Audica
Audio Physic
Audio Pro
AVI
BC Acoustique
BK
Bose
Boston Acoustics
Bower & Wilkins
Cabasse
Canton
Celestion
Chario
Dali
Duevel
Dynaudio
Eben
Elac
Eltax
Epos
Final
Focal
Gale
GamuT
genelec
Hansen
Harbeth
Heco
Infinity
Jamo
JAS Audio
JBL
Kef
Klipsch
Krell
Linn
Living Voice
Mackie
M&K
Magnat
Magnepan
Martin Logan
MBL
Meridian
Mission
Monitor Audio
MA Platinumseries
Mordaunt Short
Naim
Neat
Peak Consult
PSB
Onkyo
Opera
Pioneer
PMC
ProAc
Q Acoustics
Quad
Quadral
Rega
REL
Revel
Roksan
Ruark
Sequence
Snell
Sonos
Sonus Faber
Sony
Steinway Lyngdorf
SpeakerCraft
Spendor
Stirling
SVS
System Audio
Tannoy
TDL
Teufel
Thiel
Totem
Triangle
Usher
Velodyne
Vivid Audio
Visaton
Wharfedale
Wilson Audio
Yamaha
Zingali

PS: I am still adding content to this list 20 Sept. 2007.
added Ascendo, BC Acoustique, Hansen, Neat, PSB, Zingali, 21 Sept. 2007
Aerial, Genelec 23 Sept. 2007
Added more stuff Sept 2009

Last edited:

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
That's a huge list!

I certainly haven't heard many in the price bracket, but the Dynaudio Confidence series are rather special and Naim Allaes impressed me, though they're rather cheaper!

jensK

What about ProAc or PMC?

Conger,

There you go. I missed some of the obvious candidates.

I added both to my list and will have a look at their range.

Do you like any of those ProAC/PMC speakers in particular?

R

recruit

I would include Wilson Benesch in you're list, they most definitely make some of the best speakers in the world.

dts_boy

don't mean tosound rude but that list is massive and there is no way you can listen to even half of those! Sonos for example are rubbish and don't do anything close to what your lookin for - i would suggest going down to your local dealer/s and shortlist a few that way. have you got the amps to drive them - £4k speakers need decent driving imo so maybe you should look at that as well

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
do check out the Monitor Audio Platinums and let us know how they sound...heh....think they a bit above £4k but try anyhow......looks like im not going to be able to afford the standmount model till next year sometime.....shame, i got the decent amp, just need the top class speakers and source now...lol

iainsilvester

You should take M&K off the list, the best you can get for movies but not stereo pairs :). I have always liked Quad electrostatics, not checked for a while re price but unbeatable for accoustic material IMO

Sulis

Standard Member
I'd go for Gallo Reference 3.1s... You could afford the Bass amp as well. They could also be the basis of an AV system as well (reference centre speaker + ADivas or Dues as rears).

skazz

You have sonus faber speakers in your sig. I assume you are happy with them?

I bet you could get something gorgeous with cremona in the name for 4k?

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member

jensK

:(

Maybe you'll have to drop down to the Contour S3.4 or S5.4 instead then :D

Yes, I agree. After your post I had a closer look at the Dynaudio page and I saw the Contour series. Price wise they are in the price bracket of 4K and they are very nice looking.

I'll try to find a place that stocks them. Do you know any Dynaudio dealer around London that has the Contour speakers on demo?

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Yes, I agree. After your post I had a closer look at the Dynaudio page and I saw the Contour series. Price wise they are in the price bracket of 4K and they are very nice looking.

I'll try to find a place that stocks them. Do you know any Dynaudio dealer around London that has the Contour speakers on demo?

I don't in London unfortunately, i've emailed them in the past and they've been extremely helpful, they may be able to point you in the direction of a stockist/demo.

jensK

do check out the Monitor Audio Platinums and let us know how they sound...heh....think they a bit above £4k but try anyhow......looks like im not going to be able to afford the standmount model till next year sometime.....shame, i got the decent amp, just need the top class speakers and source now...lol

I looked at platinumseries/ and I have to say they look very nice. Can't wait to see them turning up in the show rooms. Have you seen any of them. I think 7Oaks (Swiss Cottage) was listed as one of the few dealers around London to stock the platinum series.

JonLeach

Novice Member
Hi Matey,

i have a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3.0's from a few years back, these are exceptional speakers and are after selling them still been badgered by my new missus re them (they are too big for my room). so if your intersted in the 2nd hand market let me know there is a thread on the forums for them. it would save you a lot of money for other upgrades.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490916

Jon

indus

Distinguished Member

I'm quite sure Music Matters in Hatch End have them. Not quite London, but not very far esp if you're in North London

K

KenG

The Pioneer S-1EX-QL are the only speakers in that price bracket that I can honestly say made me wonder what I had been missing over my thirty odd years in audio and home cinema. They not only sound superb, but the build and looks are something else. Equally as good as a stereo pair or in a 5/7.1 system.

When we move house mid next year our main cinema room will use the Pio EX series, so I had better start saving now!

jensK

I'm quite sure Music Matters in Hatch End have them. Not quite London, but not very far esp if you're in North London

Thanks for your advice Indus. I am located nearby the M25/M4 corridor and Music Matters is just round the corner.

I might be lucky and can listen to them soon.

:devil:

PS: I am still not half way through the list I posted here (Yes I am a slow reader). So it will be some time till I come up with list of my favorite loudspeakers.

So far I have on my list:
Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (I like the idea of this giant speaker -> hopefully it translates into big sound as well)
MA Platinum (if I can find a shop that stocks them)
Pioneer S-1EX-QL (if I can find a shop that stocks them. KenG is there any Pioneer dealer near London that has a pair? Where did you see them?)
Sonus Faber (obvious choice for me,as SF owner and I know where to find the best demo in London as well)

howaboutthat41

Standard Member
Thanks for your advice Indus. I am located nearby the M25/M4 corridor and Music Matters is just round the corner.

I might be lucky and can listen to them soon.

:devil:

PS: I am still not half way through the list I posted here (Yes I am a slow reader). So it will be some time till I come up with list of my favorite loudspeakers.

So far I have on my list:
Dynaudio Contour S5.4 (I like the idea of this giant speaker -> hopefully it translates into big sound as well)
MA Platinum (if I can find a shop that stocks them)
Pioneer S-1EX-QL (if I can find a shop that stocks them. KenG is there any Pioneer dealer near London that has a pair? Where did you see them?)
Sonus Faber (obvious choice for me,as SF owner and I know where to find the best demo in London as well)

You may wish to consider Revels, as well.

jensK

You may wish to consider Revels, as well.

I have heared very good things about them, but they just don't offer the design/finish that I would preferably will go for.

I like big speakers and Revel scores in this regard, but the optics are not in same legue as other contenders IMO.

Still I could change my mind when I hear them.

Thanks for your advice howaboutthat:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021