Best flight sim for PC?

AK 47

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I need a bit of advice please. My nephew wants a flight simulator game for PC For Christmas.

My knowledge of PC games is very limited (apart from Football Manager) and apart from FM, I think the last PC game I ever played was SWOS back in the day.

My knowledge of flight simulators is even more limited. I have not played a flight sim since F-16 Combat Pilot(!) on Amstrad CPC - even further back in the day - if anyone here is old enough to remember!

So the upshot is that I am here to ask for recommendations as to the best flight sim around for PC.

He would probably like something as realistic as possible and one where you fly a modern plane rather than one set in WWII or something.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks in advance...

Sounds like he want's this

DCS: A-10C Warthog

It's very hardcore but also has an arcade mode for a bit of afterburner style action.

Rise of Flight is well worth a go, first two planes free. WW1 so a bit different but the old planes are a lot of fun to fly. Might not be what he's looking for but its free so if he has a go he may enjoy it.

Last edited:
If you want a real sim as in not an fly a plane action game then the X-Plane series is a definite yes. With a Flight yolk and multiple monitors you can actually class it simulator training in a pilots log book and it can count towards training for different types of pilots licenses.

At least that's what my one colleague who has a private pilots license told me.

http://www.x-plane.com/

3 replies and no-ones mentioned FSX. How strange.

Still without doubt the greatest flight sim out there, and the third party add ons make it great if you get into it.

Watch this vid and tell me if it's the sort of thing you are after. The vid uses a few add ons, but the default sim is still very good and has easy planes to get started in. If you like it, you can buy very in depth planes from thrid parties that are exceptional simulations. This vid just gives an idea of how good it can be.

I assumed from the op he wanted a combat flight sim but if he doesnt fsx is definitely the best choice

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Well from these responses I have narrowed it down to X-Plane and FSX. FSX looked AMAZING on that YouTube video!

My only concern though, is will either of these be able to run on his computer... he has this PC and would not be able to afford to upgrade the components.

If neither of these would work, I'd be back to square one! :suicide:

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks again...

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Well from these responses I have narrowed it down to X-Plane and FSX. FSX looked AMAZING on that YouTube video!

My only concern though, is will either of these be able to run on his computer... he has this PC and would not be able to afford to upgrade the components.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks again...

XPlane has a LOT of good planes added as a default. So no real need to buy new ones as there are about 30 standard planes from a Cesna to an Airbus A380.

You can also download real satelite maps to overlay into your game.

Check this out for one pack.

PhotoSceneryX - Fly in the REAL world. - X-Plane.Org Forum

Last edited:

Really limited by the video card in that machine, if that could be even slightly upgraded FSX would work but nowhere near the quality of the video. Default FSX BTW looks nothing like the video above, there is over £100 worth of addons on show there.

Personally I wouldn't bother, a nice gesture for sure but it's not really going to work out for you or him. :(

Last edited:
This is X-Planes PC specs;

Chapter 2: Installing and Configuring X-Plane - X-Plane Wiki

I have spent a lot of time on the iPad version. It is insanely fun. You have so many different choices, from flying arcade style by having an outside, overall view of your plane. Or you can go cockpit mode, you can even fly by instruments only, the weather control you have is immense too.

Why don't you download the free demo of this for your PC and see how it is, then you could see if your son would enjoy it.

Battlefield 3 does me just now ;)

I only remember Microsoft Flight Sim 98, 2000 and 2004...

If like an updated version of Tornado. What a sim that was :)

Really limited by the video card in that machine, if that could be even slightly upgraded FSX would work but nowhere near the quality of the video. Default FSX BTW looks nothing like the video above, there is over £100 worth of addons on show there.

Personally I wouldn't bother, a nice gesture for sure but it's not really going to work out for you or him. :(

I will have to agree with this chap, system is very limited by graphics. Only has a 300w Power Supply so if you was to get a graphics card you would also need to get another PSU as well.

But you can always give the above demo a try :)

FSX can be amazing but is incredibly system hungry. Several years old now and still stresses out even the best pc's. Op never stated what type of sim experience he was looking for. If it's the pure, unadulterated thrill of flight then I would heartily recommend Condor Soaring Simulator. Beautifully crafted with a flight model to put all others to shame. If it's a need to shoot stuff whilst airborne then IL2 must surely be a consideration. Will play well even on the most modest of sytems. Good luck in your pursuit. Oh, and consider buying the trackir head-tracking unit. Will amplify your enjoyment immeasurably :)

DCS-A10C. Combat simulator or no, it's supposedly the most realistic of the lot. Created by Eagle Dynamics and converted for home use from the military full motion simulators used to train real A-10 pilots. Wags the producer of ED started up, took off, hit his objective and landed an A-10C on the USAF's military simulator much to the amazement of the instructor watching.

I've only been playing for 2-3 months and it's insanely difficult but I've barely touched BF3 since.

I've heard X-Plane and FSX aren't very realistic and are only good for flight plans. People have said turbulence and a host of other things aren't implemented well. Rise of Flight is good fun though.

Microsoft Flight is out this Spring and apparently it's going to be free!

Last edited:
XPlane has a whole host of weather, turbulance, lighting, storm cells etc you can tailer it just as you want. XPlane counts towards logged simulator hours too so how you can think its not realistic or only good at flight plans is beyond me.

X-Plane 10 Weather - X-Plane.com

I've never flown a plane so I can't comment personally. It's just what I've read. I've spent a small fortune on kit recently, TrackIR, TM Warthog, rudders and I wanted some more sims I was doing some research and that's what some people (pilots included) said

I downloaded the X-Plane 10 demo the other day and didn't like it for some reason. Like I said the only other sims I like is ROF and IL2.

edit: I like Take On Helicopters too

ahh, but they were talking about xplane 9 though

Last edited:
DCS-A10C. is the best and most hardcore sim i think i have ever played, it's great. It has a really steep learning curve though, i mean huge!. It took me about 40 minutes and about 30 different buttons just to start the engine.

But i found the arcade mode earlier tonight and have been hammering it, just learning the basics, looks amazing aswell.

DCS Black Shark is also awesome btw

Last edited:
DCS-A10C - Very very complex.
FSX - Can get expensive, but good.
X-Plane - Very good game.

WW2 and 1 Era games shouldn't be looked over.

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946/Cliffs of Dover - The latter is unreal.
Rise of Flight - Amazing game.

X-Plane 10 is going to be released next month. It is easily the best flight simulator I've used. I have flown aircraft and X-Plane feels more realistic than any of the MS versions of their flight simulator. Indeed, I was able to use X-Plane to improve some of my flying skills, and I actually think that it worked.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-PLANE-10-PC-Mac-DVD/dp/B006H0YSAK

The full version of X-Plane will come in at 8x8GB DVDs! :eek: The demo is, I believe, 3GB in size and is available here...

Download the X-Plane 10 Demo - X-Plane.com

Here is a video of the scenery. In a helicopter, not an aircraft.

At full settings the game will use 1.5GB Vram. Makes me wish I'd got the GTX580 now!

In this video you can see the engine exhaust distorting the land below, as well as realistic physics, e.g. the wing flexing

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom