1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best first-time home cinema buy? - £1200 - £1800

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fergus, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Fergus

Fergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks,

I've read quite a lot of stuff on this forum today (first visit), and am trying to get some good advice for buying my first "pj" as you put it. :cool:

I've done some research (though no tests so far) and was coming out with the impression that I should go for the Optoma EP756 (particularly since I have much ambient light, got FreeView digi TV, limited space and have the money for an XGA device).

However, it seems as though everyone here has a Sanyo Z2! What's with this thing (which, from the specs, seems quite inferior), and more generally what PJs should I look at?

Your advice is much appreciated in advance!

Fergus, newbie, and Celtic fan (so I might as well wait till next year's Champs League to buy this damn thing....:( )

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Only thing to bear in mind is that there are lies, damned lies and specifications.

Quoted lumens rating often mean nothing as there appears to be no meaningful standard for it.

See if you can get a demo of the machine as, on paper, the specs look very good for the price.

Also be aware that some DLP PJs create a so-called rainbow effect that some (inc myself) can see. It's noticeable as your eyes flick around a screen especially on contratsy edge details.

You may be ok, but it bothered me when testing some machines.

Chris

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Welcome...
    Dont wait till next year Fergus, at least you have got the uefa cup to look forward to.
    The projector of choice on this forum seems to change in waves, it is not too long ago the pj to buy was a panasonic AE100 (which I bought a few months ago cause they are very cheap now). As Chris said, you should demo as many as possible and choose the one you prefere but for all projectors, the darker the room the better the picture. If you have a lot of ambient light maybe you should consider buying a plasma panel.
    Whatever you choose, I hope you team does well in Europe again (and I am a gers fan).