1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best first system on a moderate budget.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MatthewForshaw, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MatthewForshaw

MatthewForshaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

For the last 4 or 5 years I've been using a Panasonic SA-AK28 midi system and now I'm aiming to move up in the world of hifi in both looks and sound. I've been looking round on the net at various sites (including the OcUK forums) and it appears that for a moderate budget it would be possible for me to get a really decent system, at least compared to what I use currently.

My main requirements of the system are as follows:
    • Standmount/Bookshelf speakers - I don't really think I've got the space in my room for floorstanders.
    • Amplifier should have integrated phono inputs or the final price should include a phono pre-amp.
    • An FM tuner is pretty much a MUST here. I listen to the radio a lot (probably more than CDs). DAB would be an advantage but isn't required.
    • Ideally, all of the kit (the separates at least) should complement each other well in looks, so all the kit from one manufacturer would be ideal.

When I've been looking arround on the net the Cambride Audio Azur range has caught my eye. The kit looks stunning and from reviews it sounds like its decent for the price range. If I was buying from the Azur range I'd probably be looking at the 540A or 640A amplifier, 540C or 640C cd player and the 640T FM/DAB tuner. One thought, however, was that the 540R AV Receiver sports an FM tuner which removes the need to fork out another £200 for a tuner. From a few magazine reviews, I hear it's also pretty decent for music so that would be a consideration. Even if its not the best quality possible, remember I'm moving up from a relatively cheap midi system which has served me well up until this point so I'm not in any need for spectacular quality at this time.

Another factor is the cost of cabiling. So far I've not been able to establish how much it would cost for decent (not top quality, but ones which will do the system justice) interconnects and speaker cable. From price lists it seems that somewhere in the region of £50-70 on cabling would probably suffice.

Speaker-wise it seems I should be looking at a set of B&W DM600 S3s (£199.95) or Mordaunt Short 902 AVANTs (£119.95) in my price range. Both seem to get good reviews and suit my needs pretty well.

I'm not totally sure of my budget at the moment but around £600 would be a pretty good guess. I'm open to gradually buying the kit i.e. amp, speakers and tuner (if not integrated) to begin with, then the CD player later on.

I'm open to any suggestions at this point. To give some sort of idea as to timescale I should be looking at starting getting the system at some point in January or February.

Thanks for any help,
    Matt

P.S. Merry christmas all!

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Linn Classik Deals via 7Oaks - Peter Tyson online.

Go and read about the Linn Classik, If i was doing it all over again I would have one them chaps TBH. Look for an ex-dem or sales wise in January. Also use the search facility above there was a thread in this forum recently : search word : Ckassik

ATB

3. MatthewForshaw

MatthewForshaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually visited Newcastle Hifi (one of the bigger Linn dealers in the north east) and demo'd it about 2 months ago but I decided the price tag was a little high. I do like the 1-box design though. I'd be very interested to know if any other companies offer a similar product (nothing too cheap, otherwise I'd be heading back to the kind of product I have at the moment).

I think for my first proper hifi its a little on the expensive side. From the Peter Tyson site it looks like it'd cost £1100 for the Classik and a set of speakers (uncertain whether that includes cabling) which is about double my budget and I'd be shocked and stunned if I could pick up a Classik and speakers second hand or ex-demo for anywhere near £600.

Thanks.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343

Be prepared to be shocked and stunned Matthew :

http://www.mountainsnow.co.uk/snow.asp?main=bargains (Soundcraft Hifi , Ashford , Kent)
    There is an ex-dem Linn Classik here for £799 you could haggle that down to £700 no probs.

http://www.audiot.co.uk/html/offers/systems.html Audio-T West Hampstead
    Linn Classik silver £650 :D :D :D

FWIW These come up for sale ex-dem £600 often I have noticed. Maybe worth biding your time for one to come along. FWIW there are also a few Linn Classik Movies goings gor circa £1000 this is a very good deal too, a bit out of your price brackets but great value none-the-less.

5. MatthewForshaw

MatthewForshaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *shocked and stunned*

Well I'm very impressed, v good deal. I'm tempted to pop back into Newcastle Hifi to see if they've got any ex-demo units for anywhere near that price. :)

Well that's certainly a consideration! :D

6. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prepare to be even more shocked and stunned! Sevenoaks sell them brand new for £799. I've got to say that they are an absolute bargain at that price.

That's equivalent to spending £300 on an amp, £300 on a CD player, £100 on a tuner and £100 on 2 decent interconnects (£30 each) plus some speaker wire. And you're getting a much better system than separates at that price would be.

You can always skimp a little on the speakers now and upgrade later when you've got the cash. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s for £180 would be worth a test.

7. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Linn Classik is an awesome piece of kit :)

Try and match it with some B&W 602S3's for about £270 and you will have a lovely system!

8. potterd

potterd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its also worth keeping your eye on the second hand market. There are alot of bargains to be had. I have used in the past
    HiFiForSale