1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best films to show up rainbows if eny

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DR.J, Mar 19, 2005.

1. DR.J

DR.J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    Well tomorow I hope to finally decide what pj to go for, as this will be my last demo. 3 pjs later I'm now going to see the 4805 at John Marrow in Edinburgh having seen the .sony hs50. infocus 480 .panisonic ea700. the 4805 will be the last , as my brain can't take eny more :suicide: When i saw the infoucs 480 i can't say i noticed eny rainbows or got eny headaches . What i would like to know is,are there eny films that show the rainbow effects beter than others. Basicly is there eny films that would show up the downsides asocated with dlp 4805 ,and how mutch is the amount of time spent looking at the screen got to do with seeing rainbows etc , or would i see these soon as i started wathing a film . Eny dvd recomendations would be a great help :smashin:

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    The one people always seem to suggest is Gladiator.
    Esp the fighting in the arena scenes with all the camera panning and lots of on screen movement.

3. DR.J

DR.J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheer's Tempest
    Havent got that , so i think a trip to Global is needed give me somthing to watch tonight as i've not seen it . Cheers

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    What mainly showed rainbows for me was white writing on dark backgrounds.

Just take a few movies though and the people that will be watching it and if all is okay then you should be fine. As i stated above this is the only time i saw rainbows on the newer machines and i wouldnt let just those scenes put me off, if or when i go the dlp route.

5. DR.J

DR.J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers inzaman
    i am going with my girlfriend as we watch most films together. But i agree with you i wouldnt let that put me off if i was happy with everythig else.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I've been testing Lord of the Rings, Shrek, & Lost In Translation.

Lost In Translation has shown up the rainbow effect for me during the scene where Bill Murray is doing his commercial (in the first quarter of the film). Rainbows
    were showing up when the director was moving his arms and rushing about.

Good luck,

T.

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I own a 4805 and the ONLY movie i've noticed rainbows on was the first ten minutes of Van Helsing which is shot in a sepia tone.

8. DR.J

DR.J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Silly question ,are you happy with your 4805 as i have read quite a few post that speak very highly of this machine ,and havent read many post on problems with the 4805 . I look forward to seeing it in action tomorow .What have you got it hooked up to, dvd player or a HTPC . Thanks for all the advice folks :smashin:

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I am over the moon with my 4805. I have it connected to a modest Panasonic DVD-S75 via component. If you check out my other posts, you'll see some screenshots I've posted.
    I think this projector is fantastic and at the new lower price of £999, it really is a no- brainer but DO demo first, ALWAYS demo a projector before buying and make sure it is in darkness with the surround system turned down as this detracts from the image you are looking at and will always make the image appear better to your mind.
    Check how they have it connected too. S Video is the very least, but component or DVI is preferable and makes a real difference to the image.
    If the fan noise sounds excessively loud, ask them to check in the menu whether it is set to high brightness mode. This mode is NOT recommended for home cinema use as it washes out blacks and increases fan noise.
    Overall, the 4805 produces a remarkable image at any price let alone £999.

10. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Well i have tried just about everything on my infocus and i cannot see any rainbows. The films include Gladiator,matrix,etc...I think the best dvd to show this up would not be a movie its ultimate kylie :D there is a trak not sure what ["think its just after i can't get u outa my mind" video] anyway the video has every flashing colour you could want with hatch grids of constantly fast changing colours! It also got a lot of reds and blacks flashing all over screen. I really expected to get a rainbow with this but...Nothing :smashin:

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Yes it is a silly question, i think everyone on the forums knows how over the moon he is :D

When i viewed the 4805 it was the first dlp i did not see any rainbows at all with.