Best Film Oscar Winners Challenge

On to the 80s and a triple bill tonight...

Driving Miss Daisy - (1989) - Some will say this hasn't dated well. Yes, it can be uncomfortable viewing but it did reflect the time and place it was set it. My problem with it is that it makes the primary plot about racism and overcoming that but is too light and half hearted about it. It presents this cozy world where blacks are happily subservient to whites, scraping and bowing with a laugh, smile and a "yessum". It glosses over a lot of other stuff too - Morgan Freeman's character's family didn't even get a mention until his granddaughter had about 2 seconds near the end. They really didn't develop the characters enough. Miss Daisy is a cantankerous old racist who turns into a slightly less cantankerous and racist even older biddy before only finally not being at all racist but only when she's lost her marbles and doesn't even know what day of the week it is. :confused: The acting was pretty ok but nothing standout. A gentle and easy to watch film. (My vote would have gone for "Born on the Fourth of July") 3/5

Rain Man - (1988) - This is a very personal film to me as, like Raymond, I have high functioning autism. It is good that this film probably brought autism awareness into general public knowledge. Bit of a double edged sword though as, up until recently, I lose count of the amount of people shocked that I'm hardly like Raymond at all, when they find out I'm autistic. There is no way that Raymond could be described as "high functioning" with his autism. High functioning autistics can at least lead a fairly independent life, unlike him. Probably, because of my autism, I find Raymond really stressful, as I do a lot of other autistic people too. His monotone non stop and repetitive talking gives me a headache and this is the hardest film I've watched in this challenge so far, even harder than trying to stay awake in "The English Patient". That said, it's really good acting and its interesting to notice that Tom Cruise subtly talks a bit like his on screen brother. 4/5

The Last Emperor - (1987) - A very interesting and atmospheric portrayal of the life of PuYi. Can be a bit slow moving at times though. Personally "Hope and Glory" would easily have got my vote for best film, out of the nominees, that year, an overlooked gem! 4/5

Last edited:
Platoon - (1986) - A good performance from a young Charlie Sheen, a great performance from Tom Berenger. A very brutal and great depiction of war. Falls very slightly short of atmosphere, for me though and a bit uncomfortable the racial stereotypes of the black soldiers, as well as making them all cowards. 4.5/5

Out of Africa - (1985) - Some beautiful scenery and thank god for Robert Redford at least adding some charisma to this too long, snoozefest. Me watching this film -
rosaq6.gif

2.5/5

Amadeus - (1984) - really don't get all the hype around this film. The costumes and set were beautiful, the acting - average, Mozart was really annoying, especially his laugh. Went on for too long and apparently was very historically inaccurate (I didn't care about it enough to check, unlike something like Braveheart) If you're into that sort of stuff, I guess you would find it brilliant. For me, personally, going to be generous and give it 3.5/5

Terms of Endearment - (1983) - how the hell did this hallmak, made for TV film (from appearances) even get nominated, let alone win!? I have to credit my wife, at this point, for staying up till 4am, taking the p**s out of it and laughing at it, with me, to stop me snoozing off. Shirley MacLaine, is without a doubt, the most overrated actress, ever! Men are a sideshow in this film because life, including all interior decorations, are all about the women, here. Jack Nicholson gurns and overacts his way through his sadly limited scenes but is sadly not enough to save this film. 1.5/5 (1 point of that is for Jack Nicholson)

Amadeus - (1984) - really don't get all the hype around this film. The costumes and set were beautiful, the acting - average, Mozart was really annoying, especially his laugh. Went on for too long and apparently was very historically inaccurate (I didn't care about it enough to check, unlike something like Braveheart) If you're into that sort of stuff, I guess you would find it brilliant. For me, personally, going to be generous and give it 3.5/5

Used to love this film. One of the first films that I remember watching where I thought "wow the editing is brilliant in this", and it didn't even win an Oscar in that category.

Sounds like you’ve had a few tortured viewing sessions of late, things should look up as by and large the 70’s had quite a few memorable films.

Sounds like you’ve had a few tortured viewing sessions of late, things should look up as by and large the 70’s had quite a few memorable films.
Yep, got a couple of really good films next, then one I've heard bad things about and then a strong 70s. 60s, I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy as much, mainly seem to be a load of musicals. At least they look strong and not bloody "Chicago" all over again!

Well movie for movie I’d say the 70’s is the best decade, 60’s a few musicals( one I love, two less so) but you’ll get to watch Lawrence of Arabia. I’d endure 10 Chicago’s for that masterpiece.

Well movie for movie I’d say the 70’s is the best decade, 60’s a few musicals( one I love, two less so) but you’ll get to watch Lawrence of Arabia. I’d endure 10 Chicago’s for that masterpiece.

One of the most gorgeous blurays I've ever watched. The 4K version must be mind-blowing.

I'm hoping I'll enjoy Lawrence of Arabia or, at nearly 4 hours long, could be the most torturous yet!

I'm hoping I'll enjoy Lawrence of Arabia or, at nearly 4 hours long, could be the most torturous yet!

Well since I loved it from a young age I'm biased as it's pure epic cinema and doesn't feel long to me at all, or dated. But if you've never seen it before I still think you'll enjoy it, just sit back and take it in. Here's the AV Forums review off the 4K version:

"Lawrence of Arabia 4K Blu-ray Review | AVForums" Lawrence of Arabia 4K Blu-ray Review

Well gone through four yesterday into the early hours of this morning so here goes...

Ghandi - (1982) - Wow, beatiful photography, so atmospheric and inspiring, an amazing cast with brilliant acting and such a well told true story 5/5

Chariots of Fire - (1981) -From the iconic opening scene, great score and well told story of a different, less money based era in sport, this is a beautiful film and one of the best sports films ever 5/5

Ordinary People - (1980) - heard bad things about this so was one of the biggest surprises, in a good way. So ahead of its time with its dealing with mental health. A great debut for Timothy Hutton and some other very good acting in this. Probably a bit slow to get into and always felt a bit like it was done on the cheap but a great film where acting comes first. (Raging Bull should still have easily won this) 4/5

That ends the 80s - my review - kind of blockbustery and not such a great decade, some winners I can't even imagine getting nominated in other decades. Best film of the decade? Very close call between two, which, from my reviews, should be easy enough to guess. Going to give it to Ghandi.

Kramer vs Kramer - (1979) - Watched this with my wife who is 12 years younger than me. I didn't mention that to have some kind of boast, more the differences in what we were used to in general attitude, growing up. See, I was a little kid when this film was set and the minor sexual assualt and sexist attitudes were pretty normal stuff to me to see, which my missus found a bit shocking. When I started this challenge, I realised at some point I was going to get into outdated attitudes and decided there and then how I would deal with them. This film seems to be the first major starting point of that. I really don't want to harp on about them or mark them down too much unless they are pretty bad, even for the era. Want to concentrate more on the film. With that in mind, I'll ignore Dustin Hoffman patting women on the bum, uninvited and say it was a very sad and traumatic, fairly realistic depiction of custody battles which sadly, don't seem to have changed too much today, over 40 years later. (Meryl Streep could have done with less red eye make up, just made her look like a massive junkie) 4/5

The Silence of the Lambs - (1991) - much parodied but brilliant film. Antony Hopkins is rightly remembered as a classic character in this but Ted Levine is awesome too. Very darkly funny, as well. 5/5

Dances With Wolves - (1990) - A beautiful film and a refreshing start to stop making Native Americans the baddies in Westerns. That said, they kind of fail a bit with that, despite their efforts. Drags a bit too. Was an absolute travesty that this won over Goodfellas. 4/5
I have to disagree with you, I think it thoroughly deserved the 7 Oscars the movie won and remains one of my favourite films ever.
The ending still chokes me up when you see Stands With Fist and Dunbar riding up the mountain trail, the credits roll and you read that within 13 years, their homes destroyed, the buffalo killed the Sioux finally went to the reservations and a whole plains culture ended.

I have to disagree with you, I think it thoroughly deserved the 7 Oscars the movie won and remains one of my favourite films ever.
The ending still chokes me up when you see Stands With Fist and Dunbar riding up the mountain trail, the credits roll and you read that within 13 years, their homes destroyed, the buffalo killed the Sioux finally went to the reservations and a whole plains culture ended.
As someone married to a Native American, with a half Native daughter, I find it a bit patronising and missing the point. I appreciate the feedback, though. :)

Onto a double header tonight -

The Deer Hunter - (1978) - IMO, probably the best film ever made. This guy says it best...
MV5BNDQzNDdmM2YtYmFiOC00YmMwLThiZTYtNWQ2NjllYWU0Y2EzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

F**kin A! 5/5

Annie Hall - (1977) - Woody Allen and his character here is the most annoying and creepy man without a criminal conviction for that. Makes Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man positively calming 2/5

Mark Kermode

The Deer Hunter (1978) is one of the worst films ever made and a testament to the fact that, if allowed to do whatever they want, filmmakers will take their cameras and crawl up their own backsides.

That's Mark Kermode's take on it. Funny things opinions aren't they.

It's too long since I saw it for me to say one way or the other.

Rocky - (1976) - With how it was milked to death, with the franchise, it's easy to forget how it all started. Hadn't seen it for a while and was expecting this to be the weakest film in a strong 70s. Yes, the story of how he gets a title fight is rather far fetching and yes, I can't understand 90% of what he bloody well says but this is actually a solid film and most importantly, very memorable moments. It feels very cliched but then you remeber the cliches come from original ideas in this. They don't take a predictable or too unrealistic ending either. 4/5

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - (1975) - A lot darker than it seemed, looking back on it. Quite brilliant. Not sure mental health treatment was quite as bad as that back then but fairly close. 4.5/5

Rocky - (1976) - With how it was milked to death, with the franchise, it's easy to forget how it all started. Hadn't seen it for a while and was expecting this to be the weakest film in a strong 70s. Yes, the story of how he gets a title fight is rather far fetching and yes, I can't understand 90% of what he bloody well says but this is actually a solid film and most importantly, very memorable moments. It feels very cliched but then you remeber the cliches come from original ideas in this. They don't take a predictable or too unrealistic ending either. 4/5

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - (1975) - A lot darker than it seemed, looking back on it. Quite brilliant. Not sure mental health treatment was quite as bad as that back then but fairly close. 4.5/5
I only saw Rocky for the first time recently and didn't think much of it. I think you'd have to have seen it when first released, or in the next few years to appreciate it properly

Midnight Cowboy (1969) is one to look forward to. Amazing film about urban alienation, Male friendship and the search for an identity

I found The Deer Hinter hard to get into, very uneventful and slow.
A lot of Kermodes issues emanate from him seeing the movie as self indulgent and over long. I can understand that but it doesn’t stop me enjoying the movie.
There’s a great book by the Producer Michael Deeley called Blade Runner, Deer Hunters and Blowing the doors off. He has a lot of antipathy for Cimino and if you listen to a podcast with Kermode and Richard Dreyfus, he loathes him as well. I think you can file the guy under “Difficult” and seems like he was the architect of his own downfall.

A lot of Kermodes issues emanate from him seeing the movie as self indulgent and over long. I can understand that but it doesn’t stop me enjoying the movie.
There’s a great book by the Producer Michael Deeley called Blade Runner, Deer Hunters and Blowing the doors off. He has a lot of antipathy for Cimino and if you listen to a podcast with Kermode and Richard Dreyfus, he loathes him as well. I think you can file the guy under “Difficult” and seems like he was the architect of his own downfall.
I dont agree with Kermode much. Hes very pretentious.

Have to say I never thought the Deer Hunter would be a contentious one! :laugh: Maybe it's my taste, a lot. I enjoy a good, long epic and even if it's slow, so long as it's very atmospheric with brilliant acting, which I find the case in The Deer Hunter. Don't think it would have worked as well if it was made as a full throttle action film.

The Godfather Part II - (1974) - out of all the films to watch that I haven't seen before, I was most looking forward to this. My two favourite actors! I'm left disapointed, somewhat. Yes, it's good acting, quite atmospheric but the story doesn't really go anywhere, is so slow and makes the whole thing drag. I get the feeling this might be my most controversial review, yet. It's taken me two evenings to watch this and struggled to stay awake both nights. I only stayed awake this night by distracting myself with the excitement of buying a 5ft oak tree on ebay.:laugh:. I'll try and soften my opinion by giving it 4/5

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom