Best Film Oscar Winners Challenge

Yeah I think 5/10 is what I gave it. Each to their own and all that.
:eek: Far too generous Questy!

"Life's like a box of chawk-a-lits. Ya never know what yer gonna git!"

Yes you do, you stupid t*** - you just look at the little piece of paper that tells you the flavours!

Philosophy Hollywood style. Jesus save us! :rolleyes:

American Beauty - (1999) - Have to address the elephant in the room, though. It was creepy, the first time round, the way he was pursuing his daughter's friend and makes even more uncomfortable viewing now, knowing what a sex pest Kevin Spacey turned out to be. Who knew that Lester would turn out to be less of a pervert than the actor who played him!?

Who knew that the last line of Verbal Kint’s classic Keyser Soze quote:

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

And like that – poof – he's gone!”

Would prove to be a prophecy of his career (with Hollywood doing a good job of convincing the world he doesn’t exist).

Forrest Gump is a fairly enjoyable movie but to win the Oscar over The Shawshank Redemption AND Pulp Fiction?
I kind of felt like that, what with it being so mainstream and family friendly but watching it from a critical point of view, not really anything much I can fault it for. Besides, I find The Shawshank Redemption overrated. Don't get me wrong, it is a good film but nowhere near being one of the best films of all time, like it often gets touted as.

I kind of felt like that, what with it being so mainstream and family friendly but watching it from a critical point of view, not really anything much I can fault it for. Besides, I find The Shawshank Redemption overrated. Don't get me wrong, it is a good film but nowhere near being one of the best films of all time, like it often gets touted as.

The Shawshank Redemption did poorly at the box office and didn't win a single Oscar, while Forrest Gump not only rakes in massive cash but trounces it at the Oscars.
A travesty.

Saw both in the cinema at the time and The Shawshank Redemption was on another level. Peerless.

The Shawshank Redemption did poorly at the box office and didn't win a single Oscar, while Forrest Gump not only rakes in massive cash but trounces it at the Oscars.
A travesty.

Saw both in the cinema at the time and The Shawshank Redemption was on another level. Peerless.
Apart from the rather silly and unrealistic part where a prisoner has the same cell for 19 years and the cell spins (if there are any) are so sloppy they don't even ever look behind posters on the wall.

Greatest film ever made for me, and I think it always will be.

Forrest Gump on the other hand is overrated imo, but apples and oranges. Definitely shouldn't have won the Oscar though.

Apart from the rather silly and unrealistic part where a prisoner has the same cell for 19 years and the cell spins (if there are any) are so sloppy they don't even ever look behind posters on the wall.

Yeah I remember reading an ex-convict complaining about the fact that Andy was in the same cell for years and this was nonsense etc, but it was a vital component of the original Stephen King story to be fair. Same with the posters.

Before I carry on, would actually like to amend my score on Forrest Gump. Not because of the wildly different views on here, which I find great to hear. It would be a boring world if we all agreed and I love hearing different views on films, it's hardly anywhere near as contentious as politics or anything that actually matters. I felt a bit uncomfortable giving it 5/5 but at the time, and after several beers, couldn't find any fault and loved it. Sobered up, I will find fault with it being a bit too over the top, sickly sweet. A few minor other reasons not worth mentioning too. Will now give it 4.5/5

Any way, carrying on, don't think this will be nearly as controvertial...

Schindler's List - (1993) - I'm of the opinion that this film should be part of the national curriculum and viewed at school by every child. Very harrowing, very important. Probably up there as one of the best films ever made. 5/5

I read one review on IMDb about Forrest Gump which sums it up nicely, which basically said that the free-spirited, anti-establishment Jenny gets punished and dies of AIDS while the dim-witted, order-following Forrest gets rewarded and becomes wealthy beyond belief.
The Americans Dream!

I read one review on IMDb about Forrest Gump which sums it up nicely, which basically said that the free-spirited, anti-establishment Jenny gets punished and dies of AIDS while the dim-witted, order-following Forrest gets rewarded and becomes wealthy beyond belief.
The Americans Dream!
Yeah, I have heard it's a bit of a right wing wet dream. The writers said it was non political but I can see that to a mild extent. Have to remember Forrest actually shows his complete lack of racism too, especially in one historical moment spliced in.

I think you were entitled to keep your score for Forrest Gump. I'm starting to wonder if that film slept with everyone's sisters, judging by some of the comments!

Yeah everyone's of course entitled to their opinion, including myself and @Mr Lime.
Though Limey tends to provoke more controversy with his opinions.. :p

Yeah everyone's of course entitled to their opinion, including myself and @Mr Lime.
Though Limey tends to provoke more controversy with his opinions.. :p

Id wholeheartedly agree that FG winning over Shawshank or Pulp Fiction is an abomination; but I still kind of enjoy the film in measured doses. I especially like Bubba and his shrimp obsession, and Gary Sinise is wonderful as Lieutenant Dan. "Junnee" not so much :laugh:.

forrest gump cooking GIF

He's a top actor loved him in Justified as Limehouse in the holler.

The Americans Dream!
Yep. I'll buy that for a dollar! The film is a love letter to anti-intellectualism and blind conformity, which was why it was so eagerly embraced by middle America.

And as Lucas said Boo, you're entitled to keep your original score. No need to change it in the face of we anti-Gumpers.

I'd give Forrest Gump 5/5, no question.

Felt obliged to step in and defend it :)

Yep. I'll buy that for a dollar! The film is a love letter to anti-intellectualism and blind conformity, which was why it was so eagerly embraced by middle America.

And as Lucas said Boo, you're entitled to keep your original score. No need to change it in the face of we anti-Gumpers.
Don't worry, it wasn't because of that. Explained my reasons and still rate it highly. ;)

Next up...

Unforgiven - (1992) - This is probably one of the best Westerns of all time. A great, different and more realistic view of the psychology of shooting people. Some great performances, especially by Gene Hackman and Richard Harris. Clint Eastwood teases you throughout as the past it outlaw before satisfying you by going full on Clint Eastwood badass in the last 20 minutes. 5/5

The Silence of the Lambs - (1991) - much parodied but brilliant film. Antony Hopkins is rightly remembered as a classic character in this but Ted Levine is awesome too. Very darkly funny, as well. 5/5

Dances With Wolves - (1990) - A beautiful film and a refreshing start to stop making Native Americans the baddies in Westerns. That said, they kind of fail a bit with that, despite their efforts. Drags a bit too. Was an absolute travesty that this won over Goodfellas. 4/5

The Silence of the Lambs - (1991) - much parodied but brilliant film. Antony Hopkins is rightly remembered as a classic character in this but Ted Levine is awesome too. Very darkly funny, as well. 5/5

Dances With Wolves - (1990) - A beautiful film and a refreshing start to stop making Native Americans the baddies in Westerns. That said, they kind of fail a bit with that, despite their efforts. Drags a bit too. Was an absolute travesty that this won over Goodfellas. 4/5
There were plenty of Westerns long before 1990 (as far back as the 1960s) where the Indians weren't portrayed as the bad guys.

Just realised, that's another decade under my belt so a quick review of the 90s, here. Some great films, a lot more mainstream than the first couple of decades and, with one or two exceptions, quite an easy and enjoyable watch. Film of the decade, out of these, would have to go to Schindler's List.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom