Best Film Oscar Winners Challenge

Boo Radley75

Recently I have started a new hobby, collection, challenge. I am going to buy the DVDs of and watch every single film that won Best Film at the Oscars, starting with the most recent and working my way back. There are 90 odd of them, going back to the 1920s. I'm looking forward to the journey and learning how the film industry seems to have evolved here and what I enjoy or not in this skeleton of it. I already own 26 Oscar winning films and have probably seen 30 - 40 of them. I owned all the 90s ones. I've since bought on e-bay all the gaps in this century ones, I don't own, so thats the first 30, already I've got to work my way through. It's a pretty cheap thing to do, picked most of them up for between 1 and 2 quid. I'll write a review of each film as I watch them but am also interested in your thoughts and opinions on them. What are you favourites and least favourites, etc? These are the ones I've watched, in this challenge, so far...

Parasite (2019) - Took a good 20 -30 minutes to get into it but when I did, very good. Dark and sometimes quite hilarious 4/5

Green Book (2018) - Already had this film and the third time I've watched it. Have to say it's a grower and much better watching the second time. Apparently it had a load of critism for racial stereotyping. I'm not Italian or Black so would be ignorant of me to comment on that as wouldn't know how hurtful or not they were. I personally thought they dealt with it well, the issues of racism and the whys of people trying to get away from their culture but learning to embrace it. Actually a good Christmas film too, given the ending. The dynamics of the two lead characters bouncing off each other was excellent 4.5/5

The Shape of Water (2017) - Pretty ok film in a weird kind of frog fetish/ noir/ creature from the black lagoon/ Splash kind of way. Wouldn't call it a classic and not particularly my kind of thing but 3.5/ 5

Moonlight (2016) - Wish there were subtitles as the strong black, ghetto American accent is fairly hard to follow. On that line, it's pretty atmospheric and easy to get into but the last third really drags, completely changes and is far too slow. 3.5/ 5

Spotlight (2015) - True and very important story. I found the acting either underacted or overacted for the most part, couldn't really connect with most of them. The way they covered 9/11 was a bit of a pigs ear too. Was expecting more from this. 3.5/ 5

Birdman (2014) - There was some great acting in this, especially Ed Norton but where does it go? What's the point of it? The first half hour was torture, got quite atmospheric, in a good way after that but was so slow and nothing much happening. In truth, it's an acting business w**kfest by people in the acting word who think their work, behind the scenes, is far more interesting than it is. No wonder they awarded themself the biggest prize for this snooze fest. 2.5/5

12 Years a Slave (2013) - Finally back to a proper good film! Powerful stuff, awesome acting. Can drag a bit in parts 4.5/5

Argo (2012) - I like a true story, bit mystified why a film with Ben Affleck and Malcolm in the Middles dad and directed by Affleck won an Oscar. To be fair, Malcolm in the middle's dad has grown into a good actor. It says a lot that I think Ben Afflecks role would have been played miles better by Keanu Reeves. That says a lot! (Could have done with more John Goodman) Average and entertaining film but Oscar worthy winner it is not! Were films really bad this year? 3/5

Hopefully I should be getting through another 2 or 3 tonight so more reviews up soon.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Recently I have started a new hobby, collection, challenge. I am going to buy the DVDs of and watch every single film that won Best Film at the Oscars, starting with the most recent and working my way back. There are 90 odd of them, going back to the 1920s. I'm looking forward to the journey and learning how the film industry seems to have evolved here and what I enjoy or not in this skeleton of it. I already own 26 Oscar winning films and have probably seen 30 - 40 of them. I owned all the 90s ones. I've since bought on e-bay all the gaps in this century ones, I don't own, so thats the first 30, already I've got to work my way through. It's a pretty cheap thing to do, picked most of them up for between 1 and 2 quid. I'll write a review of each film as I watch them but am also interested in your thoughts and opinions on them. What are you favourites and least favourites, etc? These are the ones I've watched, in this challenge, so far...

Parasite (2019) - Took a good 20 -30 minutes to get into it but when I did, very good. Dark and sometimes quite hilarious 4/5

Green Book (2018) - Already had this film and the third time I've watched it. Have to say it's a grower and much better watching the second time. Apparently it had a load of critism for racial stereotyping. I'm not Italian or Black so would be ignorant of me to comment on that as wouldn't know how hurtful or not they were. I personally thought they dealt with it well, the issues of racism and the whys of people trying to get away from their culture but learning to embrace it. Actually a good Christmas film too, given the ending. The dynamics of the two lead characters bouncing off each other was excellent 4.5/5

The Shape of Water (2017) - Pretty ok film in a weird kind of frog fetish/ noir/ creature from the black lagoon/ Splash kind of way. Wouldn't call it a classic and not particularly my kind of thing but 3.5/ 5

Moonlight (2016) - Wish there were subtitles as the strong black, ghetto American accent is fairly hard to follow. On that line, it's pretty atmospheric and easy to get into but the last third really drags, completely changes and is far too slow. 3.5/ 5

Spotlight (2015) - True and very important story. I found the acting either underacted or overacted for the most part, couldn't really connect with most of them. The way they covered 9/11 was a bit of a pigs ear too. Was expecting more from this. 3.5/ 5

Birdman (2014) - There was some great acting in this, especially Ed Norton but where does it go? What's the point of it? The first half hour was torture, got quite atmospheric, in a good way after that but was so slow and nothing much happening. In truth, it's an acting business w**kfest by people in the acting word who think their work, behind the scenes, is far more interesting than it is. No wonder they awarded themself the biggest prize for this snooze fest. 2.5/5

12 Years a Slave (2013) - Finally back to a proper good film! Powerful stuff, awesome acting. Can drag a bit in parts 4.5/5

Argo (2012) - I like a true story, bit mystified why a film with Ben Affleck and Malcolm in the Middles dad and directed by Affleck won an Oscar. To be fair, Malcolm in the middle's dad has grown into a good actor. It says a lot that I think Ben Afflecks role would have been played miles better by Keanu Reeves. That says a lot! (Could have done with more John Goodman) Average and entertaining film but Oscar worthy winner it is not! Were films really bad this year? 3/5

Hopefully I should be getting through another 2 or 3 tonight so more reviews up soon.
I've only watched the last two films and gave up on Birdman as I found it very dull.
I look forward to you completing your list

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I support this effort as an excellent way to demonstrate how wonky the title of Best Picture is!

In truth, it's an acting business w**kfest by people in the acting word who think their work, behind the scenes, is far more interesting than it is.

I love this and it's absolutely true but I still liked Birdman.

Boo Radley75

Gutted for Keaton not getting the Oscar for his brilliant performance in Birdman.

It was a good performance. Personally found Ed Norton's piss take of method acting darkly brilliant.
The lack of love for Birdman disturbs me, but I will try to endure. Good idea for a thread.

It's just my personal opinion and taste. It's great to hear opposite views and create a bit of proper discussion here, would be a bit boring if we all agreed. ;)

Right, got through another 4 films, tonight. Here goes with my reviews...

The Artist (2011) - great tribute to silent films, very warming and unpretentious, unlike some of the sh*te I've watched in this, so far, my first 5/5

The Kings Speech (2010)- a pretty good film, if you can get over the exaggerated Lionel Logue, Colin Firth looking nothing like George VI and Edward VII being played by Mike from Neighbours. 4/5

At this point, a brief review of the decade winners. In general, a lot of underwhelming, diversive, indie type but bit pretentious films. The Artist gets my vote for best Oscar winning best film of this decade.

Moving on to the noughties...

Hurt Locker (2009) - One of those usually enjoyable but rarely a classic "murrica v the third world" war films. This one was actually slow, didn't go anywhere much with sporadic good bits. If you want to watch one of these type films, Black Hawk Down or Three Kings is much better. Just scrapes a 3/5

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - this is the one that Danny Boyle got the Oscar for but not Trainspotting? Really??? Ok, I guess, some humour, some hard hitting stuff, dragged a lot... 3/5

james03

Admire your stamina and patience, you’ve Shakespeare in love and ordinary people to watch plus quite a bit of other tosh. For the sequel may I suggest the movies that should have won best picture Oscar, you’ll have a much better time of it.
I will never understand how Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan, for me that’s a bigger travesty than raging bull losing to ordinary people. Been watching movies for 40 odd years and SVP was one of the most profound thought provoking movie experiences of my lifetime.

Last edited:

Boo Radley75

Admire your stamina and patience, you’ve Shakespeare in love and ordinary people to watch plus quite a bit of other tosh. For the sequel may I suggest the movies that should have won best picture Oscar, you’ll have a much better time of it.
I will never understand how Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan, for me that’s a bigger travesty than raging bull losing to ordinary people. Been watching movies for 40 odd years and SVP was one of the most profound thought provoking movie experiences of my lifetime.
Cheers mate! There are many films, including tonights offerings that I will never understand winning the Oscar over far superior films. I will get to Shakespear in Love, in due course. I will say, at least it's easy going over some of the heavy sh*te I have sat through!

No Country For Old Men - (2007) - I was dreading this film as when I first watched it before, I was in a dark place with a very dark person watching it with me and would rather cut that memory out. It is a dark film, still, drags a lot but better than watching it before with great acting 3.5/5

The Departed- (2006) - yes, Ray Winstone's accent was very ropey in it but it is brilliant-5/5

Crash- (2005) -wtf is this racist and badly acted propaganda sh*t? This is worst than dog crap! 0/5

Last edited:

Boo Radley75

Million Dollar Baby - (2004) - Ok, the negatives, first. Some of the morals and stereotypes are rather borderline, the boxing, at times, seems more WWE than modern day boxing, the Irish stuff and then, even worse, mixed with Scottish bagpipes (wtf?). The positives, great acting, good story and the racist, but not racist, thick redneck kid was rather underrated. In a way I would have rather the film be about him. Oh, and you can't go wrong with a Morgan Freeman voice over. I'm going to give it a solid 4/5

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Million Dollar Baby - (2004) - Ok, the negatives, first. Some of the morals and stereotypes are rather borderline, the boxing, at times, seems more WWE than modern day boxing, the Irish stuff and then, even worse, mixed with Scottish bagpipes (wtf?). The positives, great acting, good story and the racist, but not racist, thick redneck kid was rather underrated. In a way I would have rather the film be about him. Oh, and you can't go wrong with a Morgan Freeman voice over. I'm going to give it a solid 4/5

Did it deserve to beat The Aviator to best picture though?

Boo Radley75

2003 - a classic movie won best film, 'The Room' - you must like that one

Great thread this.
Thanks. Think you're mistaken about 2003 though. It may have won some Oscar(s) but best film for that year was Lord of the rings: Return of the king, which is up next for me.

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
Sorry Boo - it was a (poor) attempt at humour. Watch 'The Room' at some point - you have never seen a film like it. It is truly unique.

Having looked at Wiki and the best picture Oscar winners of the last 40 years, i haven't seen half of them and i consider myself some kind of film fan. This thread might give me some pointers.

Keep up the good work!

Jo March

In my opinion, no. The Aviator is better in every single way.

The one thing I'm finding out with this challenge - winning best film at the Oscars is really no indicator that a film is really good.
Indeed not!

I watched Million Dollar Baby after it won the Oscar and can't remember being as disappointed in a film (maybe The English Patient comes close) as this after the accolades it received.

Sentimental slush,imo.

Boo Radley75

Couple more last night......

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - (2003) - This was going to be a difficult one for me because I view Lord of the rings as one film. It was also the first time since this came out at the cinema that I have watched this third part on its own, without watching the first two first and also the first time since about a year after its release that I have watched the non extended version. As you can probably tell, I'm a massive Lord of the rings fan! In the end, wasn't difficult at all. Lord of the rings just took film making to a whole new level. Superb! 5/5

Chicago - (2002) - Ok, was pretty stylish to start off and the music was ok. That wore off pretty quickly though. The story is paper thin and ridiculous and it's hard to judge the acting because there is probably only about 10 minutes of it which isn't singing and dancing. How this beat Gangs of New York for best film and indeed many other Oscars is just criminal! A very generous 2/5

Boo Radley75

A Beautiful Mind -(2001) - A bit of a difficult one for me to watch as I find serious films about mental illness rather hard, for personal reasons, even if they are good. Have to say it was hard getting into it, for about three quarters of an hour and was rather confusing for a while, even if that is done well so you can kind of experience what the guy was going through. Was well acted and done well, after that but, I don't know, it reminded me a lot of The Theory of Everything but less interesting. 4/5

Boo Radley75

Gladiator - (2000) - Nice to get to some big, easy viewing blockbuster films. Ok acting in this though not particularly shining. Great action and scenery though and very enjoyable. 4/5

Just a pause to review the second decade of films I have completed. A fairly ropey decade of winners, with a couple of highlights, though bit more mainsteam than the 2010s. Best one from this decade, for me, is easily Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

American Beauty
- (1999) - A fantastic film about having a mid life crisis and I think most middle aged men, like me, are saying "yes!" the way Lester Burnham finally stands up for himself. Have to address the elephant in the room, though. It was creepy, the first time round, the way he was pursuing his daughter's friend and makes even more uncomfortable viewing now, knowing what a sex pest Kevin Spacey turned out to be. Who knew that Lester would turn out to be less of a pervert than the actor who played him!? Tried to block that out but too difficult. Therefore, I give this film 4.5/5

Shakespeare in Love - (1998) - Going to be controversial here because, I know from one or two comments in this thread, already, it doesn't seem to be very popular around here. The second time of viewing, it actually is a bit better than it at first seems. Yes, it's a prettyaverage film but the subtle language and references in it creep up on you and make it better than it first seems. To try and describe what I'm getting at, it's basically a Shakespeare type play about a Shakespeare play. Other than Judy Dench, with a refreshing portrayal, in a different way, of Elizabeth I, who has been done to death in the same old way, about a million times, in film, the acting is still very average. It is enjoyable enough though. A controversial 3.5/5

Last edited:

Boo Radley75

Titanic - (1997) - Yes, the poor boy/ rich girl love story is a bit cliched and Leo really isn't too convincing as Kate's love interest but this is an epic, awesome film. The attention to detail, the cinematography the real life characters and some solid acting by Kathy Bates, Kate Winslett and Billy Zane. 4.5/5

Boo Radley75

The English Patient - (1996) - I saw this once before. I reluctantly went on a date with a girl who wanted to see this, she thought it was brilliant, I thought it was boring. We got married, had a nightmare 11 years together and I divorced her. Back to the film, it's even more boring than first time around. Sure, it's atmospheric, some solid acting from Ralph Fiennes but it just falls short and felt like they were making it up as they went along and hadn't got the foggiest what they wanted out of it. 2.5/5

Braveheart - (1995) - I kind of have a hate love relationship with this film. Lets start with the negatives - the battle of Stirling Bridge doesn't even have a f**king bridge! Prima noctre, lowlanders in kilts, Scots living in Hobbit holes, the homophobia, the xenophobia, I could go on and on. The positives - Patrick McGoohan, it does move along nicely with a great atmosphere. 3/5

Forrest Gump - (1994) - This film is brilliant! It's so mainstream, I was expecting to have at least some critisism of it but I really can't! 5/5

james03

EP is an incredibly hard watch, perhaps it’s a barometer for relationships, if one loves and one hates, maybe it’s just not meant to be !
I also agree with Braveheart, there’s just something about it I really don’t get on with and I’m a bit of a historical nut for these kinds of pictures.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Forrest Gump is a fairly enjoyable movie but to win the Oscar over The Shawshank Redemption AND Pulp Fiction?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021