1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best fan / heatsink?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by IronMonkey, Feb 10, 2005.

1. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people.

My PC's fan has started to make the familiar whirring sound of when the ball bearings are starting to go, so I need to get a new heatsink & fan.

For the last few times, I have bought cheap Akasa heatsink / fans for around £10, which do the job but are very loud. This time I want to do the job right and spend a little more (maybe up to £25) to get a quieter fan.

Are there any that you people could recommend? I've been hearing good things about Thermaltake fans was wondering what experience you lot have..?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Socket A) running on an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If it's for a HTPC and needs to be quiet then I can recommend the 'IGLOO 7200 LIGHT' from glaciertech.
    It's very small and VERY quiet:
    fan speed = 1900 rpm
    airflow = 29.20 cfm
    noise = 20 dba

Maplins sell them for about £20.

From what I have read don't buy a thermaltake as they tend to be very noisy.

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best solution will depend on your chassis, as you need to be able to direct the air flow into, through and out of the case by positioning fans strategically.

I have always used Thermalright sinks with either Panaflo or Papst fans, in the past, although I built an A7N8X D/L / AXP3200+ system recently using an AeroCool DP-102 Supercooler with the x2 (free with sink) aluminium fans; it worked very well and was very quiet. In this case, though, the desktop chassis design provided a front-to-back straight through air-flow, so the DP-102 (x2 fans either side of the sink in a suck-suck orientation from front to back) fitted the bill better than the Thermalright (x1 fan above sink blowing down).

I had previously used Thermalright's SLK900U sink on the same board in a different chassis with a Papst 92mm Variofan. This fan is supplied with an NTC module you solder into the negative side for thermal speed control between 30-50C. You can either drill a tiny hole in the sink to mount the NTC or attach it with double-sided thermal tape. I think AcoustiFan does a 92mm fan with an NTC already fitted, and there are probably others by now, too.

My present AVPC is an ASUS P4C800E D/L with a Northwood 2.4 P4, to which I fitted Thermalright's XP-120 without a fan at all, and GEIL Ultra DDR550 (actually DDR 554). The case is very special - custom-built to a unique design from very thick aluminium plate. I run this system at 277 x4 FSB (CPU @3.3 GHz / CPU:RAM is 1:1) and need only 1 exhaust fan (Papst 92mm Variofan with special NTC range) mounted directly behind the sink on the chassis. Bearing in mind the system has a Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate and a SilenX 500 watt fanless PSU in it, amongst a lot of other stuff, the CPU maxes at only 54C and m/b 32C on full load after 5-6 hours, with which I'm extremely pleased.

What case are you using? How do you run the system? Is it o'clocked? What do you use it for mainly?

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    mephistopheles

Got any pics, thats sounds like a great machine you've got there.

6. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I also use a Zalman flower cooler - not sure which (I've had it a while) but it's practically silent and copes fine with my Athlon XP3200+. I wish my radeon 9800 pro was as quiet!

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John S

Actually, it's the 'Heatsink' case, model 4000EX, designed and made by Glenn Lirhus at ATech Fabrication. I got it only recently after agonising over whether I could ever justify paying so much for a chassis for years. I am very glad I did, though, even though it was rather expensive. It's just outstanding, from an aesthetic, a technical and an engineering point of view. It's real quality from a craftsman. It works, too, just like the man said.

The air-flow design is actually very much more sophisticated than I realised until I got it and fired up a system in it. Although it wasn't designed specifically for it, the XP-120 fits perfectly, directly in front of and just below mid-height of the 92mm chassis exhaust, with the fins correctly orientated and directly in the air-flow (from the side and above). It astonished me when I started winding it up and found I didn't need a CPU fan at all and that I could even slow down the exhaust and stay well within quite reasonable temps even on sustained full load.

Take a look here http://www.atechfabrication.com, especially at the latest (being?) patented 'HeatSync' case. I'm about to order one of these for myself. Anyone for a power buy? There's discount for orders of 5 or more but they have to be the same specs, I think.

9. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GrahamC

XP-120 is a fantastic sink but it's for P4 and K8. I don't think it will fit a SocketA board.

10. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the same motherboard as you with an Athlon XP3200+ and there are a row of tall capacitors close to the CPU which will limit the type of fan you can have. I would be very surprised if a superflower type fan would fit. I have just replaced mine with a Coolermaster Vortex Dream 7 (£20) which is fairly quiet at 21db, but even then still had to bend the copper fins on the fan so that it wouldn't touch those capacitors.

11. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Then I'd go for the SI-97 down the page. :smoke:

12. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: