1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best EIDE configuration?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bh, Feb 18, 2003.

1. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok Guys/gals,

I have the following on my non-HTPC machine:

2 x HD (80gb) & (8gb:laugh:) master and slave respectively on EIDE1

2 x Optical drives (CD RW) & (CD-Rom) master and slave respectively on EIDE2

Is this the 'optimal' (if such a thing exists) configuration, or is it worth having the CD-RW on a separate channel from the CD Rom for performance purposes?

BTW performance at present in fine, but with a planned migration over to Windows 2000 Professional in the next few days coupled with some delving into the PC, if a better setup can be acheived, this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If the CD-RW has burnproof buffer underrun protection, then it's fine.

Otherwise, if you ever do a disc-to-disc CD copy, the reader and writer will be having to share the one secondary channel. This might not matter on todays fast pc's and larger re-writer buffers, but it used to.

If you don't do the above, or do the above with never a buffer underrun error giving you coasters then your configuration is fine.

regards,
    Rob.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    If the 8GB drive is an old slow one, then it could well be slowing down your 80GB one. Quite often drives will perform to the lowest rated drive level. Even if you put your optical drives with the 80GB drive the chances are that they're only UDMA33 and so will slow it down. I tend to keep optical drives together and will only put a slave HDD in if it matches the speed of my main drive.

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys. I guess the 8gig drive might sap performance of the main drive. I'll leave things as they are for the moment and replace the small drive with another WD hard drive shortly.