1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best DVDs to take for plasma demo?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kevshed, Aug 25, 2003.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Guys..

Off to nexnix later this week for plasma demos... im upgrading my panny 3 series.. main things im looking for are an improvement on Greyscales & Solorisation as these are my bugbears at the moment. Very pleased with color and detail levels on the panny - so expect same or better.

Also looking to see if Alis is a bad idea or not. (threads seem inconclusive) (looking at Fuji HHA, Hitachi HD400 and Panny 6) pioneer i think is out of reach price wise.

Any views on DVDs that will help me best here: I have my own views, but am interested in what others think.

Thx
    Kev

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bugs Life or Monsters Inc is a must for seeing how good the colours are.

Star Trek Insurrection, the part at the start again for colour/brightness combo.

Star Wars Ep 1. Goto the fight scene with the Sith and quingon [sp?] in the Desert.

Predator

Mission to Mars and Red Planet are also good for comparing the darks.

Regards,
    Neil.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Road to perdition to checks blacks

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have used Gladiator in the past - at the beginning you have the dark blues/blacks in the starting battle, then straight after that you have the dark fire-lit scenes in the tents with a lot of reds etc, then later in the film you have the scenes in the desert in bright sunshine etc - a lot of contrasting scenes on one DVD.

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as you already have a plasma take some dvd`s that you know really well. so you will see the differance .

blade 2 full of dark scenes.

some thing with a good long car chase if you are planning on using the plasma deinterlaser. to check out the jaggies.

i know its not the best film but enemy of the state(will smith) has alot of dark scenes/graphics/chases/close ups on skin tones/and details on buildings from above is good.

and some thing to make u smile like bugs life/monster inc/toy story/

another really dark one is seven r2

6. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I have taken 3 DVD's with me , when we have viewed Plasma's, they are , Point Break R1 DTS.I use this one for the opening sequence mainly, the film title scrols from both left and right so being able to check for jaggies, while also some quick surfing action.The next one I use is the Animatrix,and the final flight of the osiris.Again this is fanatstic for finding jaggies and any colour bleed, lots of colour change and lots of changes of pace.The last one I normally take is The Crow R1 SE DTS, this is very good for blacks, as virtually the whole film is in the dark and raining.One good scene on The Crow is chapter 14:The Avenger, if you look at the main bad guys hair(which is almost black) on top of his black jacket, a good plasma will keephis hair very clear and not blurred.
    Anyway these are just my suggestions, but do take films that you know VERY well, as you will notice anything different.

Andy

7. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for the replies guys...

Think im in good shape... some interesting suggestions there. Certainly some that i wouldnt have thought of. - Going to spend the next couple of evenings finding scenes that i think will show what im trying to eliminate.

Thanks again as always !

Kev

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any of the Superbit titles, especially Vertical Limit