Best DVD's for black detail calibration

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by NickBull, Nov 20, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just wondering what people think are the best scenes for checking shadow detail etc. At the audition of my 808 the opening scenes of Dark CITY where the cars grind to a halt was good.

I've been playing with a few things but can't really decide how much detail I should be getting. Is there a simple rule and some easy to identify scenes that are helpfull in this or is it more a case of personal taste?

I currently have the contrast on the 808 at 67 and adjust the brigtness to get a bit more detail if the blacks look too solid, is this the right way to do it? Do I need to adjust the brightness in WinDVD at all, or leave it at default? I think it looks a bit dark and normally increase it to a notch or two from maximum.

Whilst we're at it, might as well include some decent 'show off to your mates' type scenes too!

Cheers

Nick

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    After the Event I like to use Unbreakable chapter 22, the first bit is great for checking shadow detail and adjusting gamma and the jewelers scene soon after is perfect for adjusting contrast. For Brightness you really need a proper calibration test, I use DVD essentials for this.

Jeff

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff.

I'm just about to prove how inoccent/ stupid I am. I do not know what Gamma is? Can you enlighten me?

I'm always wary that I'm going to end up with a picture that I think is ok, but is really not that good. Hopefully Roland and myself can get the picture spot on, then I'm going to leave things well alone!

Just need to get a few ideas of what to test it with once with done the initial set ups with Video essentials.

Thanks

Nick

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nick
    By the end of Friday it will be singing and so will you.

It is difficult to give any figures for settings on projectors when you have a PC on the end because so much of the software allows changes to the output.

A good start up figures provided the scaller / PC / video machine is performing correctly. For all Barco CRT's Brightness 40% Contast 70 - 75%.

The beauty of CRT is it does not need to have its Gamma curve adusted. It does all the blacks and all the whites and all the bits in between.

My favorite image buster is Pitch Black.

5. miro

miro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My favourite is The Mummy.

Go to the library scene, at 15mins in.
    Check out the curator (bloke from Stargate), with Rachel Weiss.
    Look at his black jacket with black lapels against the black screen border.

They should all be visibly obvious.

Miro.

6. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Avia or Video Essentials calibration discs are a great place to start for correct NTSC calibration of black level. Its hard to use a movie because you don't know what your actually ment to be seeing,if that makes any sense :D .Start with a calibration disc to set black level and you have a point to begin from. BTW those discs don't really help with Contrast/ white level setup as the tests assume the high voltage power supply will sag at some point, this probably won't happen on a projector as the power supplies are more than up to the job.
    Henry

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

Roland has Vid Essentials so we'll go from there. I have more than every faith in Roland.

Roland, if you heared me sing you'd not have made that statement. Looking forward to Friday, I've lived with the basic set up and it's pretty impressive, but I'm now getting critical!!!

I'm cracking on with the room, new carpet and woodwork painted. Still a lot to do, but hopefully be sat in some comfort come the weekend watching a top picture.

Pitch black is a good one, and I'll have a look at theScene in the mummy too.

thanks

Nick

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    On an industrial machine may be, but there are plenty of CRT projectors out there that could do with a better regulated power supply and form a good test as to when they are being driven too hard.

In fact the Region 1 Starwars disk, Dinosaur and I think T2 have all you need in the THX setup area.

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the R1 starwars disk have the THX optimiser included? I'm sure I've seen something in the menu? Unless it's just for sound!

Nick

10. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well qualified Roland.I should say I'm talking more about the Barco/Sony/NEC professional units than home orientated projectors.However,all projector power supplies tend to be better than regular TV's so don't be surprised if the Avia/VE white level test in inconclusive.
    Henry