1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVDrom drive..

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Placebo2, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

My DVD rom drive is on it's last legs and as I use this for my HTPC I feel I need a new one!
    What's the best drive I can buy?
    Are all DVD rom drives a much of a muchness?
    I'll be using TheaterTek & DVDregionFree software, do I need to take this into consideration?

Thanks!
    John

2. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most new drives are quite similar but it depends for what you will be using the drive!!!
    The liteon 166s is well known for being a good all rounder, for rip speed and copy protection bypass (so you can back up ya cds to mp3) etc there are a few others that come recommended but the liteon is a good and cheap choice!!

3. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    John,

I've recently installed a Pioneer slot-drive DVD-ROM. From memory, model number is something like 120S. Feels solid and well made, very quiet. Like all DVD-ROM drives, will need to be flashed with a multi-region BIOS before your Windows region-free software will work. A region-free BIOS is easily obtained for this model.

I wasn't too sure about the slot-drive aspect at first but now I've got familiar with it I just slap those disks in there without a second thought.

I bought mine for £30 including VAT and delivery.

Allan