1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD setup disc?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sraper, Jan 21, 2002.

1. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I am finally going to get around to buying one the setup discs. However I am aware of three:

Ultimate Dvd Platinum
    Video Essentials
    Avia

Which of these is the best all round? Especially which ones can help setting up PAL. I believe Video Essentials is NTSC only :(

2. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Ultimate DVD platinum is quite good, I know a lot of magazines use it to test DVD players, I've got Ultimate DVD Gold, and that worked great setting my system up. Video essentials looks better than Ultimate DVD Platinum, but I dont know if its only NTSC or not, I'm waiting for mine to be delivered. Never heard of Avia. Hope that is of some help.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VE is only NTSC. I ordered mine from Oz because it was cheap (£15 after C&E had handled it :-(

Also note that despite being listed on the introduction narrative it does not have DTS or PCM setup options. There is a fly sheet inside the case telling you so - not much use AFTER you've bought it. Also they mention chapter stops (lifted straight from the LD version, lazy tourags)

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ultimate DVD Platinum is a pretty good 2 disc set (1 set up, 1 demos). The commentaries on the tests are informative.

It's R1 and therefore NTSC only, however.