Best DVD recorder with HDMI output and upscaling ?

jonhobbs

Standard Member
Reaction score
The title of the thread is pretty self explanatory :) but i'm thinking of replacing my crappy panasonic DVD recorder and As I have an HD ready TV with HDMI now i'm interested in a DVD recorder with "upscaling" to 720p or 1080i , which I believe should make normal DVDs look better.

I don't need it to have an HDD because I will have Sky HD for storing stuff, just need a good recorder with great picture quality.

I was looking at the samsung but there's another thread which is too long to read which seems to point out some problems with it.

Just one other question ? are there any that will upscale other stuff that goes through the input ? I have seem some dedicated vido processors for upscaling but the prices are scary.

Cheers, Jon

Hi

Try this thread where HDMI is discussed.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321181

Upscaling via HDMI is nothing more than the latest marketing trick. Your LCD/Plasma panel is already upscaling DVDs and will likely be doing a better job.

Don't be fooled by the marketing in spending money replacing your DVD recorder just to get HDMI.

Regards

Phil

With HDMI it's pretty much irrelevant whether upscaling is done in the player or the display...but it's not so with upscaling to analog outputs - it IS better to upscale in the player since it is performed on digital data prior to being conveted to analog - sadly it is generaly "forbiden" to implement upscaling on analog outputs due to the lack of appropriate copy protection except in some Samsung players for which Samsung is curently being legally prosecuted!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom