1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD recorder/VHS recorder combi deck?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Freelancer, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello. Can anyone recommend me a good quality DVD recorder deck with built-in VHS recording? I'd like to record some VHS material to DVD, and vice versa. Ok, i know the quality won't be great but it offers the real possiblity of backing up VHS, or even editing between two sources..

I notice that these sets are all the rage in stores likes Comets or Dixons, but in Home Cinema Magazine get very little mention? I'm certainly interested in their functionality and would like anyone with a good deck to advise me. Link to reviews would also be welcome.

Thankyou.

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    1. A HDD/DVD combo will allow you to edit between two sources with greater fidelity than a VHS/DVD combo.

2. Why would you want to back up to VHS? With a HDD/DVD combo you can make as many DVD backup copies as you want.

3. If you have VHS tapes you want to copy to DVD, presumably you've got a VHS player? Buy a HDD/DVD combo, transfer all your VHS to DVD and then flog/bin the VHS player.

VHS is dead - don't prolong the agony. :smashin:

3. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ah.. Good thinking! Not something that had occured to me.

By HDD/DVD do you mean recorders like the:

Toshiba RD-XS34
    Panasonic DMR-EH50
    Sony RDR-HX510?

However, i wanted a DVD/VHS combo because my current VCR is almost broken but i still have plenty VHS material i would like to watch. I'd be happy with combo set because this system would allow me to view the videos i have already, fuss free, because the product would be new and it'd handle the tapes better.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    If you really want one with VHS as well this model is due out shortly.