1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD recorder for recording from VHS?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by madmatt, Aug 19, 2004.

1. madmatt

madmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which DVD Recorder do Users/Engineers find give the best results for Archiving from VHS using COMPOSITE (CVBS) input?
    (I'm using the original VHS machine to avoid HiFi mistracking, this has CVBS on SCART)

Some machines must handle CVBS better than others? And some must use a superior MPEG encoder (Sony? Latest Panasonics?)

From what I've seen, most DVD recorders are successful at capturing detail from VHS tapes but skin tones can be disappointing (compare the original VHS with DVD copy on a good CRT screen)

Which machine makes recordings closest to the source tape?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Standfast those models without Time Base Correctors (Philips and cloned products) generally they are all pretty good at it. Ensure your recorder has Flexible Record or equivalent (JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Toshiba - NOT Sony) as this allows you to maximise the bitrate used.

Yes - if you after excellent results you need to purchase a colour corrector such as this or this.

3. madmatt

madmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just looking for the DVD recorder where the engineers in Japan got it closest to right - I don't want to build a rack full of pre-processors and vectorscopes!

TBCs in DVD recorders could be the weakest link - so which DVD recorder has the least intrusive TBC? They should use 10-bit processing in the TBC...

I reckon many people are buying DVD recorders to archive VHS - how do users of Panasonics, Sonys, JVCs, Toshibas and Philips rate their recordings from VHS?

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I archived more than 50 S-vhs and VHS tapes on SONY rdr-gx7, using JVC S-VHS 9700 with build in TBC. I shall say that noise and sharpness is the same as on the tape in 180 min mode. Better but not much at 120 min mode. The big difference is in the very fast moving objects in the 180 min mode. If you can record in 120 or 90 min mode there will be no artefacts at all. SONY GX7 codes perfect picture. I used QED S-video and QUNEX 2 interconects.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    EN pretty much summed it up for me. Using a JVC HR-S7965 S-VHS deck (which includes a TBC) and Sony GX3 recorder, I can only echo the above words... using cheaper cables :cool:

:smashin:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Considering the cabling running between my GX3 and the JVC VCR (and assoicated support equipment) comes to just over £500 I hardly think so. For your information an inbuilt TBC does not help colour seeping or colour bleed but this is irrelevant because ALL of the major DVD recorders handle these relatively well - there isn't anything particularly special about the Sony's performance. Nevertheless if you want to control the picture to get the absolute best then you should get colour control equipment like what I suggested.

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :confused: Er, what are you objecting to?

I added that my findings were the same, though I am using cheap cables. Re: the FYI, I don't really need it and in any case, made no other reference or claim to time-base correctors and their function. As far as I can tell, I stated nothing other than the fact that a TBC was included.

I'm using cheap cables, I am happy with the results - where's the issue? Unless you think that I am suggesting cheap cables are a requirement? :D

Hmm, well they are for me. Woe... :( :rotfl:

Oh well.

8. madmatt

madmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’d rather have 10-bit processing than silver plated 7N OFC cables!

I’m worried about all those TBCs - whats the lip sync like?

Even broadcast quality TBCs throw away a lot of information. Video pre-processors do a better job (e.g. Snell & Wilcox Prefix). I guess all the DVD recorders use a generic TBC chip, nothing special. I’ve worked with MPEG encoders, and intelligent video pre-processing is the key

BTW Would the GX-7 outperform the GX-3 or are they based on the same electronics?

I’m surprised most DVD recorders are evenly matched, no one brand is differentiating themselves on video quality?