1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Producer / Director

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by baldbird, Jul 30, 2003.

1. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a split with dvd fans between people that are more into the sound and picture or the extra's. Sound and picture quality are a massive bonus of the format, but for me - I absolutely love my extras.

Watching signs last night, and although it wasn't up to his usual standards (i think they'll be a special edition coming along) you can tell that Shalman L Night (spelling ):blush: seems to always have great extra's - always seems extremely passionate about his films and eager to explain the what's and why's. Not just the features but also the commentry's.

I think up there with him is tarrantino who obviously put's a lot into his extra's and again is blatently passionate about what he does. He's also quite hones about if he thinks he got things right or not - even conceeding that on some of his scripts that he didn't produce, that the film is better that he woudl have done.

It seems that a common thread is that both write and produce thier films so maybe are more passionate about them and go into more detail. Maybe Gangs and scorsese is the same although not seen yet so can't comment.

Just wondering if anyone's got any comments on any film makers that seem to put a lot into the extras. Lucas does but nsoesn't seem too directly involved and Speirlberg has been dissapointing so far from my opinion...

discuss;)

2. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ridley Scott is one who loves the format.
    Spielbergs dvd´s to date are loaded with extras(no commentary though).
    Oliver Stone on the other hand is talking and talking on his dvd´s.

your comment"Lucas does but nsoesn't seem too directly involved" what do you mean????:eek:.

there would not be anything released if he wasn´t present in all stages of the dvd production.

Cheers
    Maggi

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would definately class the biggest bonus of the format to be the sound and picture over the extras. The vast majority of the 'extras' could easily just be chuked onto vhs, like the so called 'featurettes' and interviews etc. Where DVD comes into its own though is sound and pic quality, as I'm pretty sure your not going to get dolby digital or dts on a vhs tape.

I do not think you can overstate the importance of the quality of the soundtrack on the overall experience of watching the film.

Baldbird, It's about time you got yourself an amp instead of listening to your films through your Bush 28 incher !

4. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with you dfield2000.
    PQ and Sound comes first
    Extras are......... well Extras

5. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

basically that he doesn't seem that passionate or into the films. Just oversees where other filmakers seem to be far more hands on....

6. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a vote's in order on the sound vs extra's but I've got a feeling I might be onto a loser on this one.

7. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Baldbird
    If you had a choice of your favorite movie released with tons of extras with bad sound,bad PQ and wrong Aspect Ratio or plain version with no extras , top notch sound,PQ and right Aspect Ratio what would you choose?????

8. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but that doesn't happen, so i'm not in that situation.....

9. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair in that instance i would go for the quality over the extra's. But only because the priority is enjoying the film.
    But as long as the film is of a high quality then the extra's are as the predominant reason for buying - to find out more about the film......
    Although I have to admit after talking about this the odd shout of anal has come my way.....

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    If I had a choice on a DVD between top picture and sound and no extras or average picture and sound with extras I would go for the first option.

Unless of course you get both like LOTR. :)

The extras I like best are the making of features. Not the crappy prefilmed ones they show on TV etc but the proper inhouse filmed script to screen type. Such as on Die Another Day.

Greg

11. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN who made films like "The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable". For example here is one of the reasons I like him and that is because he spent a lot of time explaining the deleted scenes of "The Sixth Sense" which to me gives a bigger insight into the film and even more of an understanding of things you may of missed in that film. :)

P.S. And of course not forgetting "Signs" as Baldbirds first post. :blush: