1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Player without any gimmicks for less than £200??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Raze, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm looking for a the best DVD player that has the best picture quality via component outs for less than £200...

I dont care about it not being able to play mp3s or div x or other compressed stuff (got the pc for that) all I want is s movie powerhouse that delivers the best picture performance!

It is to go with a 36" Toshiba Picture Frame 3.

I'm thinking of a Player no more than £200 rrp as am hoping the 'discount shops' will sell for around £150.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    How about a Denon 1910?

http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dvd1910/dvd1910.htm

OK, it does MP3 but it has this impressive spec (at least to me).

216MHz/12bit D/A Converter
    Dual, discrete 54 MHz, 10 bit Video D/A Conversion system each for Progressive and Interlaced outputs

Most players in you price bracket will normally have loads of features like divx. mp3 etc as that makes them desirable.

3. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It does look rather nice! :) Plus I've always been a big fan of Denon..

Is the PQ better than the Pio 575a tho? That's what I'm aiming to better. Have you tested it or seen it in action yourself?

I'll see if I can find some reviews of it as well...

4. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    reading some mixed thoughts on it... some peops saying that via componants the pio 575 has better PQ! :-(

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    See if u can get the sony ns930 from somewhere it has been discontinued for a new model which is the same really. it has a 216mhz 12bit DAC!! I have it and via component the image is very nice on my panny plasma and projector.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Or how about the Harman Kardon DVD22 which Sevenoaks have reduced to £199.95 from £299.95.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Alternatively, the Toshiba 2/340 are incredibly cheap and have an excellent picture.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    When I looked at the denon it had exceptional picture via DVI but its component really wasnt anything to write home about.

For the price I really dont think you can get much better than the Tosh 340 unless you double your budget

9. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm using a Tosh SD220 connected via component to a Tosh 36" Picture Frame, and find the picture quality fantastic.

You can pick up the latest SD240 model that Tons mentions above from large Tesco stores for a mere £50. You can get the SD340 online for a little more ( £70-£80).

I saw a post/ review recently in which an SD240 was compared against a £1000 Denon, and the Denon was found to give a slightly better picture/ sound, but nowhere near sufficiently greater to justify the significantly greater cost.

Even though they're much less than your planned budget, I'd recommend taking a look at the Tosh's.

Balders.

10. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I can vouch for the toshiba340e.Excellent with component.A little thin on build quality but for £75.00 its a steal.The multi region handset hack works perfectly too.The dvd player market has a huge gap in quality per pound between the budget and high end players.

11. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Raze,

I am selling my Harman Kardon DVD-22 for £150 including delivery. It has just over a year and a half warranty, full multiregion Pal/NTSC Prgressive scan.
    Fantastic picture via component and excellent sound.

Selling due to upgrade

LMK
    DVDCHILD

12. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the new Sony DVPNS955. It hasnt been reviewed yet, but it seems to have good spec and looks the part. It's £270 but you'll get it for about £220, if you're prepared to go £20 over budget

13. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for replying all.

I have actually done some research into the Tosh chipset.. After I got the TV the next day I borrowed my sisters £500 Sony DVD (Sony DVP-S725D) that is about 5 years old now and was gobsmacked at the performance of the TV (and the DVD player) it was nothing short of amazing!. I was curious as to how far the DVD players have come along since then and bought a £49 Toshiba sd 240 from Tesco and it was just as good as the Sony via component/progressive output!! (they both had varying strong points for eg the Sony had slightly and I mean very slightly better colour whereas the tosh had better decompression and image quality - overall I prefered the Tosh - and it was also using cheap phono leads! (the sony had a £30 GPlated scart lead)).

Is the 340 better than the 240 in terms of PQ as that would be great, and in addition alot of people seem to think the pio 575 is a bit better than the tosh 340 - any truth in that? I have also read that you can get DVD players without the gimmicks (mp3 div x etc) for the same price as the pio 575 but with better PQ and these were what I was really after, only thing is in the review the writer didn't mention which players these were! (hence this thread!)

14. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Pioneer 575 was voted best dvd player upto £300 by many AV and Home Cinema mags...

I've got one. and I have no complaints

The rrp is £150, but can be had for around £112 on the net.

15. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Yeah the Pioneer is rather good, even taking away all the DVDA/SACD/Divx stuff! Thumbs up from me too, better than my old Sony 525 except it lacks a test tone for speaker levels. Apart from that its great.

16. Steve6696

Steve6696

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba SD240 is indeed a little cracker. I bought one for my kid for £39.99 at Comet. They price matched one I'd seen for that price in Powerhouse. (but Powerhouse only had a display model left) Bargain!

17. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    panasonic S97 RRP 300 Now for 150!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're around West London then the S97 is £129 at Seba Electronics in west ealing. Used to be favourite shop of mine when I lived around there and I noticed there ad in paper because I paid £163 inc p&p from Panasonic for what's an excellent player.

19. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    My local shop!
    I have a Smasung LCD with DVI. Would it be better to stick with a Samsung and DVI (i.e. 745) or is the S97 with HDMI->DVI converter the same thing? Maybe they'll let me borrow one.

20. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103