Best DVD Player with Sony Bravia 32V300A

funkyfuturist

Standard Member
Hi,

I am looking to buy a DVD player to accompany my Sony Bravia 32V300A. The features I am looking for are:
  1. HDMI
  2. Upscaling to 1080p
  3. USB (should be able to recognize a portabale hard disk, just a 4 GB flash drive doesnt make sense, I am better off without it.)
  4. preferably 5.1 Channel Sound
With this in mind I have zeroed in on four options:
  1. Samsung 1080PK
  2. Philips 5996K
  3. Sony NS708 (doesn't have USB. Sound output is 2.0 - L & R Channel only)
  4. LG 388
I need to know has anyone used any of the above DVD players how satisfied were they with its preformance. I also need to know if all of the which have USB would support and external portable hard drive or not? I know the Philips 5996K does but I am not too sure about its performance.

With regard to the Sony, does it makes sense to have a Sony DVD player since I already have a Sony TV? Does anyone think a Sony-Sony combo would be able to deliver better results as oppose to a xyz-Sony combo?

The Oppo or the Pioneer are not available here else I would have definitely gone for one of those?

Do you think the 5.1 Channel sound in the LG, Philips and Samsung should be a deciding factor? Does 5.1 Channel sound support mean that the amplifier is built into the DVD player and a home theatre system would work seamlessly without the need of an AV receiver or an external amplifier?

Thanks

Cheers!!!

spooney

The first question to myself would be "Why upscaling to 1080p, if my TV is a HD-ready TV and not Full-HD?"

There are many threads in here on this topic and in a nutshell: Leave the upscaling to the panel when it comes to HD-ready.

IMHO: Basically you need to look for a DVD player with a USB connection.

There are couple of threads in this very forum on the mentioned players. I suggest to use the Search function and read along.

Good luck.

funkyfuturist

Standard Member
Thanks spooney. I actually thought that if both the DVD player and the TV have upscaling it might be able to fill-in the color "gaps" better.

Any suggestions on the 5.1 channel sound v/s the 2.0 Channel sound.

Thanks

Cheers!!!

The first question to myself would be "Why upscaling to 1080p, if my TV is a HD-ready TV and not Full-HD?"

There are many threads in here on this topic and in a nutshell: Leave the upscaling to the panel when it comes to HD-ready.

IMHO: Basically you need to look for a DVD player with a USB connection.

There are couple of threads in this very forum on the mentioned players. I suggest to use the Search function and read along.

Good luck.

spooney

Sorry to sound a bit offensive but again I do not understand your 5.1 question.

It is either the TV set (e.g. my Philips has a Dolby Digital decoder built in) or the receiver/amp who will decode the signal.
The player must be capable to putput DD or DTS.

Some players have the decoder built in and then you will be able to output the 6 channels via the analog outs.

All of the above has nothing to do with amplicifation. For this you will need either an AVR/amp or active speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom