Best dvd player upto £250

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rickyj @ Kalibrate, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I have recently invested in a HS10, and the next part in the puzzle is a new dvd player, as my Toshiba only does NTSC progressive, so fancy getting PAL progressive at least. Maybe even 720p, 1080i, as the sony will take it via dvi.

Just wondering what everyone thinks may be the way forward. Have been thinking about the following players, and have been doing some research on the relevant players, but still a little confused, as to which is the way to go.

Denon 1910 (keep reading about issues?!?!)
    Pioneer 575
    Denon 2200 (2nd hand, and may have to wait)
    Pioneer 757ai (probably have to wait a bit longer, as nearer £300, but worth it?)
    Panasonic S97
    Cambridge Audio DV77 or DV79 (79 getting bad reports on AVSforum.com)
    Yamakawa 365, or 375
    Samsung HD745(black crush??)

Any other suggestions.

Am interested in SACD, and dvd-a, but not specifically necessary!

Thanks for all your help, in advance!

Ricky :smashin:

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Might also want to consider the Limit A900SE at play for £99.99. Is audio cd playback and a good built in dd/dts/dvd-audio decoder important? Do you connect to your amp via optical or coaxial? Do you need/want divx playback?

3. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Connect via coaxial, but could it via optical. Divx is not important. Mp3 more important, but not essential.

Anyone else.

Ricky :smashin:

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    So your best picture quality option is probably going to be via dvi and a scaled up resolution. Something like the momitsu? Also there are now hacked firmwares for the Kiss dvd players (like my DP-450) that allow even protected dvds to be played at high resolution via component or vga (these connections need simple adaptor cables). The Kiss DP-450 was recently available for as low as £69.99. Some people don't rate the Kiss players but I've compared the output of mine to some good players and I'm amazed by the results of mine in comparision. The built in DACs for audio are rubbish though and you would only use the player with external audio processing via optical/coaxial if you wanted decent results. Its rubbish for audio cd playback obviously too. What is the HS10's own built in scaling like? Could you get away with a standard resolution pal/ntsc progressive dvd player?

5. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Simple. For up to £220 the best player for picture, asthetics, drive performance is undoubtably the sony DVPNS955. It really is superb. It does have one flaw, it only plays divx and not xvid. But compared to the denons etc it is much superior. The other option is the samsung HD745 or hd945 if you can find one.