Best DVD player upto £200

low-def.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would everyone sugges tis the best dvd player at this price point available in the UK on a 42" Plasma screen.

1) I have seen great scores and write ups of the Oppo 971H. 2) The Sony NS92 & NS76. 3) Pioneer DV 696 ? or the 4) Panasonic S52

Any experience of these players ?

You could get the Denon 1920 for that price now if you shop around.

Overall i think that machine would p*ss all over the others

Not if down-loading and burning your own Divx DVD's is a high priority to you it wouldn't so I hear.

I'm trying to see if anyone can give something approaching a definitive answer on this myself (bearing in mind the Divx comment).

Here's hoping.

I think you'll struggle to find a Denon 1920 for less than £240 if at all, they seem to be in short supply now. I tried for a while myself, then thought of how I could more easily justify giving away a Pioneer 696 when HD DVD becomes affordable.

Considering availability and at only £120 for the 696, the decision was easy.

MDX said:
Yea but as the thread title says, he wants a DVD player, not a DivX player.

- Well, not wanting to be an argumentative little rascal but why on earth would anyone make the distinction?

In fact it has always amazed me that anyone with a PC would be interested in a DVD player that did not handle Divx.
It just seems such a crazy and deliberate loss of it's potential and point to me.

Oh well, each to the own I suppose.

The dvd player will be used for dvd only and not divx files. I quite fancy the Sony NS92 or the Pioneer 696. I know the Sony goes for about £164 and the Pio for about £130.

The Oppo has had good scores on the home theatre benchmarks, but I would have to import it. And to be honest I don't fancy it as much as the above two.

The Denon may be a posibility, but a stretch at over £200

The Oppos are available from this country and are high quality devices. They would be my pick of your list, however your initial list is well researched already. They major on quality of audio and video piccy quality, some of the others have more features.

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/dvd_players.htm

and there are even some B stock atm if you want to save some money.

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/special_offers.htm

For info, I have a PC here, and many a DVD player here but Divx is a complete none issue , I never use it or want to use. For me it is one of those usless things I will never ever use and there are many who are in similar situations to me.

StePye said:
You could get the Denon 1920 for that price now if you shop around.

Overall i think that machine would p*ss all over the others

Not over the oppo... :nono:

You "may" get a slightly better picture from the OPPO. I owned one but i still think the Denon was better.

But the Denon in terms of Sound quality, Build quality, reliability is far better in my opinion

I think my brain is telling me to go and get the Oppo, espeically as it come swith a dvi & hdmi lead, which either will suit my pd7200 plasma.

But i have never seen one in the flesh, and its a brand i have not experienced, whereas i would feel more confident in going for the Sony ns92 or Pio 696 model.

Arrghhh...I need to make a decision !

The OPPO will certainly wipe the floor with the Sony and Pioneer.

I dont think they should come into the equation or be compared to it.

OPPO constantly releases firmware updates too, they are pretty good in service areas, i dont think you will have problems with it.

When you say you have a PD7200 is that Hitachi. I had a OPPO with that TV and it was class and never had one problem. The only reason i sold my OPPO is because i was sold a DENON 2910 at a fairly cheap price.

Although the Denon 2910 is better picture quality (for a player of that price it should be), the OPPO was not too far behind.

£169 at CRT projectors, its a bargain for what you get, its certainly worth th extra outlay over the pioneer and sony

The Cambridge Audio DVD89 has received an excellent review by What Video & High Definition magazine.
It's going for £200.

Anyone got one?

I have, its good! Plays everything I've thrown at it, good features, easy to set up, looks nice in black or silver, great image quality in DVD playback, upscales nicely, has had no vices while I've owned mine.

I tried out a Cambridge Audio DVD player a couple of years ago and the picture was great but the remote drove me mad and it had to go back. If the reviews said they had fixed the remote then I may try one again.

my Denon 1920 cost 120 quid :smashin: , the guy i brought it from had brought the Oppo as well...so he didn't need the Denon anymore

it's in perfect condition, it was only a few months old!

I'm in a similar position. Just bought an MT200 projector thanks to these forums and my ageing Pioneer DV530 just doesn't cut it anymore. So time for a new DVD player. I don't need divx as I've got an xbox networked up to my media server (no need to burn a disc every time I want to watch anything - bliss!)

I was going to get the Sony NS76 but Empire Direct cancelled my order - no stock :mad: Think I'm going to splash out the extra cash and get an Oppo. I know it's not a brand name but I love the fact it's well supported with firmware and by this great community.

I had the Oppo and can vouch for it's good performance, also consider a Panasonic S97 if you can find one (2nd hand). I have now changed to a component driven player and run a Denon 2900...awesome :thumbsup:

I've decided just to splash a little less cash than i planned and get the Sony ns76 as a stop gap. Hook it up via hdmi. I'm now gonna wait to see how the hd war goes and maybe splash out on myself late rin the year on one of the denons.

Richersounds had the 1920 for £199.99 a few days ago but it seems to have disappeared from their website

Why can't I find any reviews for Cambridge Audio dvd players on HCC website? The DVD86 looks good for £120 at RS. Diff between that and the DVD89 anyone?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom