Best DVD Player to compliment a Philips 42PF9966

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stonedragon, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys I am looking for some help on this.

I've recently purchased the above Plasma and I'm really pleased with it. So what I now need is a DVD recorder to compliment it. What I would really like to do is take advantage of the DVI-I connecto, which according to the blurb is HDMI and HDCP compatible. My amp is the Denon 2803.

With this in mind I want to spend the best money can buy. A budget between 2-2.5K is what I'm prepared to spend.

Has anybody had experience with DVD players and Philips screen and if so, with what results? Also what is way to get the best out of the DVI connection?

My only consideration to date (only because I saw a press clipping in a mag) is the Denon DVD-A1VX, but that is not out until some time later in the year, but I am prepared to wait.

Any thoughts and help would be most grateful :lease:

2. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody?

I can only conclude from the deafining silence that nobody on this forum has

i) a Philips plasma with a DVI connection to a DVD player
    ii) an opinion on the new A1VX player

Pity, I really thought I could get some good advice here :confused: :confused:

3. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The Denon seems remarkably expensive...
    Yes, it has switchable DVI outputs, but you can get DVI switches for $200-300.

I would be more inclined to go for the 3910 (actually I have) and get a high def source when they come along (either satellite or Blu-Ray HD DVD).

Don't htink that there are too many 42pf9966 owners on this forum as it is intended for LCD, not plasma...

4. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tony B,

Thanks for your reply. One of the reasons I was considering the A1VX player was because apparently it offers HD quality output from a standard DVD (provided of course you have a HD screen). :eek: :eek: Hence in effect the whole argument over Blu-Ray and HD becomes redundant, since todays DVD's will be rendered as if they were HD. Comments anybody?