1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best DVD Player Software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zypheruk, Apr 21, 2003.

1. zypheruk

zypheruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi what is the best dvd software to use with my GF4 TI4200 8X AGP graphics card.
    Many Thanks ..

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Power DVD XP, no probs, and fast.

Although I don't watch DVD's on it - 19" CRT is too small and it's a bit dorky. Only use it for snapshots, PC-DVD ROM features, special features, commentaries etc.

I have a Geforce 2 MX 32MB.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should try out nVidia's own DVD playing software - there's a demo on their site IIRC.

It's supposedly optimised for their cards.

Theatretek is said to be the best software player currently available with Power DVD the best of the rest.

:smoke:

4. Threadkiller

Threadkiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,502
    Yeah, zoom player with Sonic video filters, WinDVD4 audio filter and ffdshow yields pretty amazing results. Not the easiest of solutions but worth the effort!

Andy

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Andy,

I'm using a similar htpc set-up to you, but was wondering what kind of processor I'll need for ffdshow - 2ghz or more?

What's WinDVD4 like compared to earlier versions? I have a copy that I could install over the top of the one I'm currently using (including the audio with zoomplayer and ATi video).

Cheers.

Gary.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,502
    Gary,
    I had ffdshow working to an extent on an Athlon 1.3 Ghz, seemed happy with some films and stuttured on others (full screen ones seemed to cause problems e.g. Toy Story). I've now got an Intel 2.4Ghz and it takes ffdshow in it's stride, about 45% CPU usage.
    As for WinDVD, not sure about earlier versions as I haven't really used them, all I can say is that with Zoom player the WinDVD4 audio filters are working a treat, DD and DTS passthrough my Maudio Revolution perfectly, no dropouts and I swear the sound is improved over that I was getting through my DVD player (seems to be more detail). Playing DVDs using WinDVD is another story however, software mode seems ok but as soon as I enable hardware acceleration it all goes to pot, lucky I don't need to use it then really!

Cheers
    Andy

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I didn't get an e-mail to say you'd replied, and I've started another topic. :)

Cheers for the info..

Gary.