Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best DVD player software for Radeon

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Oct 8, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best Win DVD or Power DVD?
    What else do you need to drive a Barco 808? Where do you get powerstrip from?

2. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a read of the the Theatertek thread over on the AVS. Its a long one, but one well worth reading if you are seriously into HTPC.

3. JonMarsh

JonMarsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been a Radeon fan for a while, and tried out a number of players. Not the definitive evaluation of the market place, but possibly some useful thoughts.

The standard ATI player (4.1 until recently, when new cards ship with 5.0) has been very good regarding picture quality, but has been at times difficult to optimize the setup without careful selection of the video driver version, and using PowerStrip 3 for some configuration optimization. The video setup panel is enough of a problem for things like the gamma adjustment that many users resort to registry hacking to get stable results.

With the 4093 drivers, custom resolutions are possible, and playback of anamorphic DVDs is quite good. But, on the downside, settings for anamorphic and 4:3 mode don't really make much sense, the gamma properties are not intuitively organized, and some DVD's simply aren't read by the player ("Mission to Mars", for example). Audio quality is good, but DTS pass through on SPDIF doesn't work.

WINDVD works well on the Radeon, but doesn't quite match the picture and audio quality of the ATI player, so I rarely use it. I had no problem getting both to co-exist on the same system. This system still uses WIN98SE- hardware is an Abit KT7 MB, Athlon 900 MHz processor, with MAudio 24/96 audio card.

On a PC which I use mostly for audio test (with a dedicated CLIO test board), I use a Radeon 64 SDR board, and have recently installed the new Ravisent Cineplayer 4.0. It is a pain because of the product activation feature, but on my Athlon based system, it works well, excellent picture quality (runs without dropped frames using just software decoding on a 600 MHz Athlon), good sound quality, and it plays the DVD's the ATI player doesn't. It is being used with the 7189 revision drivers- also under WIN98SE.
    Now, others have reported glitches and issues with this player on various hardware, but it's been stone cold reliable for me- your mileage may vary. This player supports DVXA, but I'm not currently using a driver which supports this, so that is why it's software decoding only.

I am on the list to order the TheaterTek player as soon as it's available, sometime this week, supposedly. It will use the codecs/filters from Ravisent from their last generation player, but offer features geared to the HCPC user, with only full screen playback. I'll be happy to post when I get this and have some experience with it.

PowerStrip is available from Entech in Taiwan. Some features work in the demomode, but settings aren't save.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/

Best regards,

Jon

4. redbull

redbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jon,

I'm stuck with the ATI player at the moment as I just want to get my Barco up and running. Then looking to upgrade depending on how I find it. WinDVD seems to be the player of choice for a lot of people but the Theatretek seems to have a lot of anticipation surrounding it so be interested to hear your views when you get it.

Basically I'm going for a 16:9 screen so will be running custome Res and timings almost constantly and I want something that works with the minimum of fuss!

Thanks for your advice and I'll keep an eye on your findings.

Cheers

Nick

5. JonMarsh

JonMarsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm normally running 16X9 mode, too, but I also run the desktop in that aspect ratio (1280X720, usually). Reportedly the TheaterTek solution will incorporate aspect ratio control and the ability to play letterbox 4:3 in full screen 16:9. If the disk reading issues go away, for disks like "Mission to Mars", and the rest works as advertised, I think we'll have a keeper on our hands.

Best regards,

jon