1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Player/Scaler combo for c.£1300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rowlandhills, Oct 28, 2005.

1. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A house move has forced me to change from a set of Linn floorstanding speakers to a Yamaha YSP-1000 for my AV needs, which means that the amplifiers and DACs in my Linn Classik Movie DI are now being wasted. Since I can sell this player for about £1300 on eBay, I plan to do this and spend the money on a scaler and new DVD player.

My question is: What is the best DVD player and scaler combination for £1300?

As I will have a separate system for stereo music (the old Linn speakers!) and the YSP-1000 will do decoding, the main focus is picture quality. I suspect that this will be a Lumagen Vision DVI as the scaler, which would then leave me about £500 for a DVD player.

Note that I do intend to get it all ISF calibrated, but that will happen sometime in the New Year, once my new plasma screen has been run in. Speaking of plasma's, the player/scaler will be feeding a 42" HD plasma, most likely a panny PHD8. I'm not yet sure whether I'll be getting Sky HD, but I won't be rushing out on day one, as I'm quite happy with Freeview at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Sounds like a good plan - sounds like you've been reading these forums a lot!

If you are going to use a Vision DVI, then you will want a DVD player that outputs native rate video over HDMI/DVI. There are lots of good players, but many only output progressive over HDMI or interlaced over component - not really what you want. The Pioneer 868AVi will do the trick, though there may be cheaper players like the 757 that will suffice.

regards, Nick

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you can stretch the budget a little you could get Vision DVI, SDI mod, and Philips 963sa SDI modded. Absolutely stunning image. Philips players are rare as rocking horse doodoo though, Play may be getting some more in but have been saying stock due for a month or two now. Have seen a few 963's on the classified forums though

4. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks, some good thoughts.

If I were to consider stretching the budget (and I'd rather not, because the plasma is going to cost enough that I'll have really difficulty with SWMBO if I spend more on this lot too!) to consider that SDI modded kit, how would that compare with say a Denon 1920 connected to a Vision HDP, which would come in at £1500 for the pair?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The 1920 would look would comparatively very basic! The Philips 963 with SDI delivers one of the best pictures around...

6. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I appreciate that the Denon HDMI might not be as good a source as the Philips 963 SDI, but I was wondering whether the improvement to Vision HDP rather than DVI would make it worthwhile?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    With the Denon, the HDMI output is already deinterlaced and scaled by the inferior processing in the Denon. The Lumagen would be sitting there doing nothing!! Unfortunately none of the Denons allow for an interlaced digital output in order for the Lumagen to do all the deinterlacing and scaling work. Only Pioneer and Arcam have such a player to my knowledge.

What you need is a deck with a very solid interlaced component output to go with your scaler, which I guess wouldn't be all bad with a Denon. But to be honest, I would probably still go for the 963 which can be had for £120 on play.com (if they ever get them in). With £1,500 I would much rather Philips SDI and VisionDVI than Denon 1920 and VisionHDP.

8. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well, that seems clear enough, anyway :)

I've found a potential source for a 963, possibly SDI modded already. I should hear more on Monday...

One quick question:

With an SDI modded Philips 963SA, does the scart RGB output still work?

I may have to get this player before my new plasma arrives, and I'd rather not be without a display completely if I've sold the Linn by then!

9. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    "Probably". I believe it does. crtprojectors who do mods on a variety of player don't guarantee that the other outputs will work after the mod, but most of them do from what I've gleaned.

10. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant argue with our Liam here.....If only cos he sorted me out with his dream Philips SDI modded/Scaler/PDP system in 5 minutes and emptied my wallet the little (well..actually ) git....

11. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Still trying to work out whether I'm going to have my new 963 modded (for three times the cost of the player), mod it myself (for the same cost of the player) or go down another route.

Unfortunately most (non-Meridian) players including the 963 cause issues with my G68 processor during disc navigation and layer change - they kill the bitstream instead of sending digital silence (zeros) sending the processor into temporary mute.

I digress through. It's not just on this site that the SDI-modded 963 is lauded as one of, if not, the best DVD sources for video regardless of price.