1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD player for Sony HS10?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by johnkay, Feb 25, 2003.

1. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone suggest which DVD player I should go for, to hook up to the Sony HS10. I would prefer an all-in-one player such as one of the Sony DAV series, but they do not have prog scan although I think they have component out. I think there may not be such a player on the market yet. I have read in home cinema that Samsung are bringing one out but perhaps only in the USA.
    Does anyone know anymore.

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Have you concidered at Home Theatre PC. Messiah has recently got the HS10 and now using the DVI input. Do a search and you fing the long and interesting thread.

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in terms of picture quality, a home theatre PC using DVI and something like theatertek DVD player software gievs very good results that are better than even a high end DVD player. But not everyone wants a dedicated PC - it isn't as useable - and you have to go to great lengths to make it silent or put it in a different room. I started off trying to think of making it silent, and ended up just sticking it in a different room instead (cheaper!).

But this isn't for everyone. If you want a good DVD player, suggest you don't have to buy sony just because the HS10 is a sony.

You need a component video output. This is the best.
    Ideally progressive, although these are expensive. Look in something like what hi-fi or some other publications.

Toshiba do a non-progressive SD-9000 and a progressive variant which is the SD-9100 I think which are very good players. The SD-9000 in particular can probably be got reduced now since it's a discontinued model. The SD-9000 used to be about £800 although you can get it cheaper now like about £300 I imagine.

TAG Maclaren do some nice DVD players if you want to spend a few grand on one...

One thing to look out for is whether the player you choose has "the chroma bug" in the mpeg decoder. Search for info on this on the web. Some players have the bug, others do not. then again, the effect is quite subtle and you really have to look for it.

In the final analysis, there is no such thing as "the best player for the HS10" - depends on how much you are spending and what your criteria are (ease of use? picture quality? sound quality? build quality? good remote control and on screen menu?)

Cheers
    J

4. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys for your advice.
    I have considered the HCPC option but I am put off by the user inconveince and having to get the 5.1 sound set-up also.
    You see I have a Pioneer DCS303 which has 5.1 built in with amp and small speakers and it is very good as far as user friendlyness is concerned, I can use all the functions on it with ease from the remote control, but it has only s-video o/p and no prog scan, so I might still consider a HCPC to get an improvement in quality.
    But what I thought would be good alternative to HCPC would be DVD player cinema system with component & prog scan built in, all the conveince of a one-unit, with quality perhaps approaching HCPC, but it seems there is no such player yet, although Samsung will be bringing one out for the USA. I would be most interested if anyone knows of any such player.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The nearest thing at a half reasonable cost is the Phillips 963 which is pal and ntsc progressive with a simple hack, about £300-350 last time I looked.
    Do a search in the DVD forum and it'll turn up loads of info on this player.

6. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the hs10 employs progressive scan technology within the unit, so its just a matter of picking a reasonably good dvd player.

when the dvd player is progressive, its just a case of choosing which unit will do the processing...:lesson:

7. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know that the Australian version of the DAVS880p does ntsc progressive scan. It costs around aus$2000. I'm not sure if any companies export, but it's a starting point if you are after a prg scan sony kit. It looks pretty smart too!
    Hope this helps,
    Dean.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Actually all panel pj's display their image progressivly but that doesn't mean you can't imrpove the image by feeding the pj a progressive one.

Admittidly the HS10 does have a reasonable scaler but it can certainly be bettered.

9. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I understand the post correctly, you are wanting to use an all-in-one DVD player / amplifier?

You will get better results if you buy a dedicated surround amplifier and feed it from a dedicated decent source DVD player. This is because an all-in-one jobby will typically have one power supply that feeds the amplifer and also the DVD player. At high listening levels (which you tend to get in home cinema) you will get a lot of noise on the power supply rails that will have a negative effect on the DVD playback circuitry. You will also get lots of EM noise from the power transformer inside the unit that could have an effect on poorly shielded components on the DVD player side, introducing noise.

Also, given that a combination DVD player and amplifier is generally cheaper than the seperates, this is not the only area where cost reductions have lead to cuts in internal components.
    Although you mainly get what you pay for most of the time.... You certainly never get what you don't pay for if you follow me.

A progressive DVD player will in general be better than a non-progressive one since it will be able (at it's discretion) to take advantage of the MPEG coding flags on the DVD. Admittedly lots of these flags are set wrongly on the DVD anyway (during the coding process) but it's one way of allowing the player to more easily perform 3:2 pulldown in 'film' mode. It also removes an extra stage of AD conversion that is going to add electrical noise to the signal. And we need to avoid adding electrical noise because increasing noise decreases the signal/noise ratio and this reduces the information content that can be carried by the signal. What this means is that more noise in a video system will reduce the picture quality.

As John pointed out, all panel projectors are progressive by nature. They have a built in circuit that performs deinterlacing, scaling, gamma correction and so forth. However, the de-interlacing circuitry on the HS10 is very good but yes it can be bettered by a more sophisticated algorithm and again this is where feeding in a progressive input becomes important.

It is important to use component video (whether progressive or non progressive) simply because it allows improved bandwidth, lower crosstalk and therefore better picture.

If you use a Home Cinema PC you can use SPDIF output from it into your dedicated surround amp.

If you want a list of options from best picture quality and sound to worst these will be:

Best
    Home Cinema PC + Digital 5.1 amp.
    Progressive component DVD player + Digital 5.1 amp
    Non Progressive Component DVD player + Digital 5.1 amp
    All-in-one DVD player and amplifier
    Worst

John

10. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  11. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is the reply that I received from PriceJapan on this player:

Thank you for your interest in our service.

1. Price information of Momitsu DVD-V880 dvd player to USA
    Its lowest wholesale price in Japan; 25,700 Yen. ( You can confirm kakaku.com's its latest price at http://esearch.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd...ct/459376/459275/460438/#420858&shop=DVDirect )
    5% tax will be added.=> 26,985 Yen(You cannot avoid 5% tax.)
    Its box weight seems to be 4.6 kg.
    Shipping cost from Japan to USA by DHL; 10,500 Yen
    Total pure costs in Japanese Yen is 37,485 Yen.(26,985 + 10,500)
    Shipping Insurance cost(0.7%) will be added.(compulsory).-> 37,800 Yen(37,485*1.007)
    With our minimum fee 4000 Yen , it will be 41,800 Yen.(37,800+4,000)
    This amount is equivalent to USD $363.(41,800/115.00)

2. Price changes daily, according to $-Yen rate and wholesale price in Japan.
    Above cost in USD is based on $->Yen cash rate; 115.00 Yen per a USD).
    ( $->Yen cash rate is 3 Yen lower than broker rate in market; 118.00 Yen per a USD)

3. We can ship it to USA and other countries with our 5% fee.
    In case of USA or Canada, total amount you pay via PayPal will be $992 by cash,
    $1,024 by credit card(3.3% card charge added).
    Payment by credit card should be done via Paypal. We don't accept directly credit card.

Just thought that it may be of interest to someone!

Cheers

Dean.

12. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sony dav550 has prog scan ability according to what hifi review. i was thinking of using this with my hs10 solely as a dvd player in my lounge where pj is setup and as all in one system with normal tv in family room with my tv. have put off buying as i have read of some problems with the unit - subtitles keep on cropping up or sumthing.
    can i actualy use dvd function only and connect to av amp?

cheers
    jay

13. BoG

BoG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On searching for info regarding the Pioneer DCS-303 I came across this thread. I was very interested in your comments and because of your obvious knowledge on the subject have a couple of queries that I would appreciate your comments on.

I have a Sharp XV-Z90E DLP projector which states that it is capable of accepting a progressive scan picture through its component video port but nowhere does it indicate that it has a deinterlacing capability itself. Some of the more expensive projectors on the market actually make this claim as part of their marketing. Can you clarify this as I have seen other postings that suggest that in terms of overall picture quality deinterlacing is better handled by the source or the display or vice versa.

The picture and sound that I get with my Sharp XV-Z90E connected to the Pioneer DCS-303 via a cheap (Maplin) 15m S-video cable is for the most part stunning. Whilst I accept your comments regarding separate DVD and receiver must be better than an all-in-one it would be hard for me to imagine a better quality picture than I get at the moment. I am loathe to start forking out vast sums of money to upgrade the system for diminishing returns and satisfaction. When I purchased the projector I had planned to buy a complete separates surround sound system with PAL progressive DVD. However after testing the current Arcam and Denon alternatives and suitable speakers for around £2500 I decided to wait until there were more PAL progressive players on the market. I felt that if I let the market mature this would give a wider choice and anyway I lean towards Pioneer equipment in general so was prepared to wait for their palprog offering. I purchased the DCS-303 as a toe-in-the-water stopgap that didn't cost much money. However I have been incredibly impressed by the overall quality it provides and as I say now feel under no real pressure to upgrade. According to your AV quality continuum I am on the bottom rung but very satisfied with it!

14. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horses for courses. If you are happy with it then that is all that matters. :)

In answer to your question, all projectors are progressive internally. The LCD or DLP panel is driven in a progressive manner.

The only way a projector can show a normal interlaced signal (such as composite video , interlaced component video or S-video) is by first de-interlacing it and then displaying it.

Different units have de-interlacers of varying sophistication. Some units brag about using faroudja CCdi circuitry (the de-interlacing chipset) as a sales feature. If you have a poor de-interlacer in your unit you will know it. An interlaced signal may have jaggy edges on diagonals or suffer from a "comb" effect on moving objects. You may see thin horizontal lines (like railings) actually disappear and reappear on the screen during a pan. These are all worst-case scenarios but you get the idea.

Most modern projectors have reasonable deinterlacers built in. They are not all built around the faroudja chipset however. Faroudja is known for producing some of the better deinterlacing chipsets out there and this is why manufacturers sometimes mention it in the sales pitch.

John