1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD player for Pioneer PDP-505XDE?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hubert, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Hubert

Hubert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Title says all - what player should I get for my 505XDE that's arriving tonight?
    (can't bloody wait)

The Panasonic DVD-S97 has been recommended to me, I've found it in a local
    shop for 160 without multiregion mod. The 505XDE is supposed to have a pretty
    good built-in scaler, so I'm not sure if it's worth getting an expensive player if
    I connect by HDMI and let the TV scale?...

Also, will dvd players send the sound over the HDMI connection, and will this
    be output on the optical sound output of the media box, or will I have to make
    a separate connection from DVD player to my surround amp?

2. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know this too.

My thoughts are to get something for the short term until the HD-DVD market stabilizes as we're all going to have to upgrade in a couple of years anyway to make use of that.

So until Sky's HD comes out and is stabilized, I'm looking at getting a DVD HDD recorder (such as Pio's 420) which does both, and living without HDMI for the time being. Then having a decent HD-DVD player and Sky's HD box for the long term.

I'm testing the 420 against a player with HDMI out on the 505XDE tomorrow to see if there's that much of a difference. Will post results here after.

3. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I compared the Pioneer 420 against a Marantz that HDMI out (don't remember the model). Whilst some things were a little clearer (more definition in the darker areas) I didn't feel it justified the price difference so I went with the 420 which I was perfectly happy with. Like I said before, it's only for a few years until HD-DVDs anyway.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    When I was looking for a new DVD player for my PV500 to replace my Sony 525 I was told to go for a decent older player, rather than a new one with HDMI etc.
    I went for a Harmon Kardon DVD 25 in the end, as it was on classifieds for £105, which looks ace through component.

Thanks to HornyDragon for the advice.