1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD player for Pio 435?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PC_112, Apr 8, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to buy a Pioneer PDP435 and I want some suggestions for a good DVD player bellow 250 pounds that will make this plasma produce the best possible picture. (sound is not a top priority).

Is it necessary to go with an HDMI Player to get the best out of this plasma? The choice of HDMI players is limited at this price, and I was wondering if a player like the pioneer DV-575A would produce the same level of image quality using component connection.

2. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the dv575 connected via component to my 435hde and i m really sold on the PQ that this machine produce.
    I ve seen the same screens, the one connected to a pio 868 via hdmi and the other to a dv575.
    overall the PQ was the same. i haven t noticed any difference.
    i don t think you need a player with upscaling cababilities since the upscaling job is done by your tv's media box and it does it quite good IMO.
    Not as good as some very expensive scalers and players but still very good.

3. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Leerock.

I read some very good reviews for dv575 and I guess it must be a really good player. The other one I am seriously considering right now along with dv575 is the Panasonic s97 with HDMI. Anybody can compare these two players in terms of video performance on a TV like the 435?

4. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I cant comment on the above players but i demoed the viera vs the pio 435fde through a pio 668 dvd player with hdmi output. I was suitably impressed and am going for th pio over the viera. Sevenoaks in poole currently have an ex display for 299, if thats of interest.

Ive even got the link for you!

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Pioneer DV-575 (multi-region) at £99.95 at Richer Sounds is a great machine for the price and you'll be hard pushed to improve the PQ through component at this low price point.

If you want a scaler and HDMI consider the Samsung HD-950 although there maybe problems with SACD playack regarding the bass output though the sub output (£160).

The Denon DVD-1910 may also be worth considering. DVI connection which can be coverted to HDMI and scaler to 720p
    http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dvd1910/dvd1910.htm

Shop around and you can pick it up for £199.99

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think there is any magical match for the plasma, so maybe the DVD forum will give you a better idea of things. Perhaps you need to decide if you want to bother with HDMI or not, that's it.

Otherwise, be warned - I (and others it seems) personally find it very difficult to find any decent player for sensible money! I don't know what it is, but DVD players are done very badly it seems. If things like build quality, mechanical noise, remote controls, layer change, trouble with DVD-Rs etc concern you then choose wisely (the Pioneer 575 I couldn't tolerate on some of these grounds, otherwise picture quality was excellent).

GFS AV has been through all the major players, and ended up with a Sony DVP-NS955 which he is raving about currently in the DVD forum - maybe worth a look. I think a whole new slew of cheap to mid-price HDMI players from the big manufacturers may well be on the way any time soon as well...

7. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I had dv-575a on component to my xde and the picture was indeed good.

After demoing a 2910 the perfomance with component was improved - and was even better with hdmi.

If a screen is well set up the you will notice a difference in better quality players.

However if for whatever reason i had stuck with the 575a I would've been more than happy with it. Its a great player.

8. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can you be a bit more specific? Which are the grounds you could not tolerate it?

The Denons are kinda expensive. Would the Panasonic s97 with HDMI be better than the Pioneer 575?

Would the Pioneer 435 show its power with a non expensive DVD player? Or if I can not afford to invest on a very high quality DVD player I should just go and buy a cheaper plasma (e.g. Sony KE-P42M1S - 1000 pounds cheaper). I don't want to spend big money for a great plasma, and at the end of the day get the same picture quality that I would get with a much cheaper TV.

9. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PC_112

definitely choose your plasma first, DVD player second.

right now, im watching a 50" Pioneer 503 using a £30 Toshiba SD140, and the picture quality is great.

i didnt like the Pioneer DVD player because it made one hell of a noise when skipping chapters etc, it didn't handle DVD-R's very well, and the build and finish wasn't what I expected. But as I say, picture quality was just fine, so those other things may not bother you?

10. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Normally my ruling on this would be governed by the logic that the top end Plasma deserves a top end DVD player in the 750-1500 price range, however now my philosophy has changed, whether you have a budget of 250 or 2500, the right thing to do just now regarding the 435 is buy a low cost competetent player.

I made what seemed a decent choice of DVD player when I got my 435 last year, but am now worried that this was a flawed decision, based upon the new formats coming out and what appears to be on paper a potentially superior picture to be had when they arrive.

no doubt this will mean my DV79 being relegated to CD audio only duties which quite simply is a waste of money, in retrospect I wish I had stayed with a Toshiba DVD player [low cost and excellent quality for the money], but then again I would probably always be after the superior picture that the so called best in class DV79 was offering :)

I currently use a 50 quid Targa player from Lidl in preference to my Arcam, which for the money is a far more flexible device in that it allows me to play every format I chuck at it, also the progressive scan output although no match for my DV79 is still well acceptable even on 700mb AVI files

11. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Those are not very huge problems for me. Are there any other players you would suggest?

If you can't afford to have both top end plasma & DVD player, do you get the top end plasma with a mid-range player? Would this combination be much better than a mid-range plasma (at the 1800 pounds range) with a mid-range player for SD? (HD is not available were I live, and it will not be for some years).