• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Best DVD player for my old, SCART only TV.

Scottyyy

Hey guys.

I'm looking for a new DVD player to buy. I was set on buying an Oppo 970HD because it looks really good, but then I realised that my TV only supports SCART, and there's no SCART inputs on the Oppo. Would composite look really bad on the Oppo?

Anyway, I'm now looking for an alternative but I have no idea what to look for. It needs to be able to play DVD+R and +RW's and supports all filetypes like DivX and XviD. HDMI, component etc aren't necessary as I don't see myself buying a new TV anytime soon. So if anyone has any recommendations for me, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, I've got about £100 to spend as that's around the price of the Oppo.

Thanks

timearp

There's a Pioneer 575a for sale in the classifieds. Plays everything and has caused me no problems. £40 I think.

Scottyyy

There's a Pioneer 575a for sale in the classifieds. Plays everything and has caused me no problems. £40 I think.

Thanks.

Am I allowed to use the classifieds with such a low post count?

Also, how is the image/sound quality on the Pio?

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
As you will be paying money in advance of a seller shipping, you'll be OK.

The Pioneer is very good, and also plays Divx. It doesn't hold a candle to my Denon2900 which is standard definition over Scart (RGB), but the S/H price reflects that. The Pioneer also does SACD and DVD-Audio as well, so for £40 it's a bargain TBH.

Good luck!

Scottyyy

As you will be paying money in advance of a seller shipping, you'll be OK.

The Pioneer is very good, and also plays Divx. It doesn't hold a candle to my Denon2900 which is standard definition over Scart (RGB), but the S/H price reflects that. The Pioneer also does SACD and DVD-Audio as well, so for £40 it's a bargain TBH.

Good luck!

Well I'd hope not, seeing as it's a £700 player. :eek:

Also, I have a question about playing Divx files. Do Divx compatible players usually accept Xvid too? And to play them, would I burn said Divx files to "Data DVD" in Nero, or equivalent with other software? It would save me a lot of time burning the Divx file straight to a "data DVD" rather than using Nero Vision to encode the video to DVD format to play my backups.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Dunno m8. I gave up writing discs for the same issues. I resorted to a Showcenter 200 to stream files directly off my PC over the LAN. Doesn't play everything, but it's good enough for me and convenient.

B

benbradle

Its better for you search market for this you have visit various shops of electronics.
:clap:

Scottyyy

OK well thanks guys.

I think I'm going to stick with this LG player I'm using now actually and use the money to improve my headphone setup. :p

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom