Best DVD player for my needs

ra3ac

Standard Member
Just ordered a Pioneer 428 which im started to get excited about, but I want to get a DVD player that will compliment the TV. Tried reading some of the Pioneer 8G thread and after 3 hours and only 50 pages of 300 in, ive given up and just going to ask the question.

Im after a DVD player that:
- Upscales to the best ability of the TV (not sure to get 1080i or p. TV accepts both but displays i)
- Plays Divx via USB – so can play divx from an external harddrive
- Multiregion
- I would prefer it in black but not essential

There are so many DVD players that it just got confusing. Ideally looking at the £100 mark, I don’t mind paying a bit extra if there is a major difference in quality but not 100% sure if I should pay the £60 more for an Oppo when the Toshiba HD player is £170( I know it dosnt meet my needs but does show that prices are coming down, happy to wait)

Any Suggestions

chris57

Phillips 5980 does all you want and is black and less than £100.

ra3ac

Standard Member
Just got one from Amazon thanks - do you know if i should set it for 1080p/i for my TV or is it a try it and see thing

ra3ac

Standard Member
Just found the answer "The pioneer 427 will run 1080p but only at 24fps". Im assuimng a £50 dvd player wont output 24fps so will need to be set to "i"

Thanks again

chris57

Its set to auto by default but you can change it in the setting to what you want 1080p/i,720p/i, etc.

My Phillips 5960 when on auto the TV sets the dusplay to 1080i which is the max the 5960 does whereas the 5980 does 1080p. The choice for me is between 720p or 1080i, some prefer 720p others 1080i. The Phillips website is poor for accurate specs and doesnt list the FPS of either player. Best bet is to see what you prefer 720p/1080i/ or 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom