Best DVD Player for Hitachi 5200? (Please Help)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DeanL, Nov 18, 2004.

1. DeanL

DeanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Questions for any Hitachi 5200 owners.

I'm looking at buying this plasma and following the write ups etc was looking at attaching the Denon1910 to make use of the DCI input.

From threads know stella has thsi set up and there has been a few issues but how good is the PQ your getting with this set up?

Also anyone else with the 5200 that have any feedback on results from DVD players would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks Dean

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,054
    Have a 1910 connected via DVI to my 5200

Sat and watched the R3 of I Robot the other night and I have NEVER seen a picture so chrisp, clear and free of any problems

Its probably not "the" perfect picture and many out there who prefer to watch the picture rather than the film may disagree but I could find no fault

Even my other half commented on how chrisp and clear it looked

big :thumbsup:

Just waiting to see if any more firmwares get released

3. DeanL

DeanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan

I noticed on previous thread that you had some problems with which screen res worked best through DCI and that Hitachi did not support 720 50Hz.

Did you resolve this and if so what do you use?

Many Thanks Dean

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Dean, I answered this question on the other thread you posted on, but I'll answer here as well in case you didn't see it.
    The 1910 has looked extremely awsome, but also quite bad on my 42PD5200.
    Generally, most dvd's look stunning, with crisp colourful pictures and no dodgy artifacts in sight. However, it will show up weaknessess of dvd's which have weak picture quality anyway. I think it makes the good look better, but the bad look worse.
    I have been pondering lately whether the 1910 was really worth swapping my Tosh 520 for, so I just watched a few scenes of LOTR Two Towers, and the excellent PQ assured me that it was.
    I am watching everything in 1080p with pleasing results, so I am not too bothered that I cannot make full use of 720p yet, but hopefully I'll get a fix for that soon.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I don't think Hitachi not supporting 720 @ 50hz is the problem.
    The Hitachi will display 720 @ 50hz but only in pc mode, although with picture aligned to the right.

6. DPhil

DPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dean - I am very pleased with the PQ using my setup so far. I use 1080i mode on DVI. I am disappointed I can't test 720p (got no Region 1 NTSC discs) but just because I want to check out the difference between that and 1080i.

I did get a faulty 1910 to start with, but got it swapped out. Other than that it has been fine. For the price it seems good to me.

7. da95649

da95649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have just got a 32 PD5200 and Im using a crap old sony DVD player with scart cable....the picture seems very grainey and I can see alot of dots.

First Q, is it worth using an Svideo cable instead, or secondly, shall I scrap and buy a new DVD player?

With a new DVD player, is it worth getting a progressive Scan DVD, what would you recommend for under £300....

any help would be great!

Thanks
    Darren

8. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Spoke to the technical dept at Hitachi and they have used a Denon 1910 sending 1080i to great effect on DVi input of the Hitachi panels.

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    That's interesting to note that Hitachi are testing the screen with an interlaced signal. The topic is always ongoing on whether to send Alis panels an interlaced or progressive signal.
    I must admit that I have used mine soley with 1080p since I paired my Denon and Hitachi, but I may have a look at 1080i later to see if I can see much difference. TBH the picture is pretty stunning most of the time on its current setting.

10. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Sorry to mislead, it was the 1080 bit I got from them didnt really twig to the i or p bit. Kinda just starting to get to grips will all this upscaling stuff and scan stuff.
    I actually contacted them to confirm if it 5200 would work with Sky's proposed high def format and they like said that along with most other manufacturers they were still waiting on Sky clarifing the dual output bit(1080 and 720 @50hz) of their recent statement so could only confirm that 1080 would work if thats broadcast.