Quantcast

Best DVD player for displaying digital photos?

N

nodabble

Hi everyone.

Since buying a digital camera a couple of years ago I now find myself with loads of jpeg pictures on my hard disk and no decent way of viewing them on my Tosh LCD TV. Sure - I can plug the camera into the TV via the composite video lead or even use the s-video out of my ipod dock - but what I end up with at best is a PAL image that doesn't do the photos (or the TV) much justice.

There has to be a better way!:lease:

I'm hoping that if I buy a DVD player with either a HDMI or DVI socket and then play a CDR full of jpegs it will display them in glorious hi-res - just like when I view them on my computer monitor. Is this the case?

My pics are 2560x1920 in size (5 megapixel) so obviously they will have to be downscaled to fit the TV (1366x768) and I appreciate that there is a ratio difference (4:3 vs 16:9).

What I'd like to know is if anyone recommend a good DVD player for displaying jpegs on an LCD TV and whether some DVD players better at it than others? For instance, do any of them have a zoom mode allowing me to zoom into the picture, or do any have slideshow capabilities? Is there any advantage in opting for HDMI as opposed to DVI? And as for the DVD side of it, multi-region is a must.

My budget is around £150. What should I buy???

Thanks for your time.

N

nodabble

Yesterday I tried out a Sony HDMI DVD player. (Can't remember the model number, although it had '92' in it.) Whilst the picture quality was fantastic for DVDs, the JPEG playback wasn't so great. My photos were not displayed full-screen and when I tried to zoom in it merely enlarged the image making it blocky.:(

My quest continues...!

cooperda

nodabble said:
Hi everyone.

My pics are 2560x1920 in size (5 megapixel) so obviously they will have to be downscaled to fit the TV (1366x768) and I appreciate that there is a ratio difference (4:3 vs 16:9).

Thanks for your time.
I thought many DVD player would only take up to 4 MPixel Jpegs?

I think I saw one Philips DVD player the had - as one of it's 'feature list' to be able to display High Quality Jpegs - I think it said something like - up to 3000x2000.

Sorry if that's not much help.

Cheers, Dave C.

moriartygm

I do this often, using a Samsung HD 950 DVD player connected with HDMI to A Samsung LCD HD TV

Step 1 - Make a data CD from your PC of the JPEG images (the disc must be joliet format and must be on a CD not a DVD).

Step 2 - Set the Samsung HD-DVD 950 to display JPEG-HD

Step 3 - insert the newly made disc and enjoy your photo's in glorious High Def !

Note that the JPEG display setting on the Samsung can be set to SD or HD.
The SD setting loads the pictures much faster and allows features such as seeing multiple images on the screen at one time and a slide show function. The HD setting only allows one picture to be shown at once and no slideshow function, but it's worth it to see the images in high def.

I use a nine megapixel setting on the camera per photo, and this takes a few seconds to load, my wife uses a 5 megapixel setting and these do load up quicker, so how fast the display is depends on how large the image files are.

The images look fantastic displayed like this, in fact it's the best thing I have seen on my HD LCD !
:thumbsup:

opps forgot to say the HD-JPEg setting on the Samsung HD-950 outputs only when HDMI is enabled and in 720p/768p/1080i is selected.
so reslotions are

720p = 1280 x 720
768p = 1024 x 768
1080i = 1920 x 1080

So I always use the higest res setting of 1080i.

You shoud be able to pick up a Samsung HD 950 DVD for under £150.00.

N

nodabble

moriartygm said:
so reslotions are

720p = 1280 x 720
768p = 1024 x 768
1080i = 1920 x 1080
Excellent - that's just what I'm after.

I was starting to think that all the HDMI DVD players scaled the jpegs down to PAL resolution then upscaled them to 720/768/1080, thus losing definition.

The Samsung 950 sounds like the one for me. Thanks.

fizl

The Samsung 860 offers this too

Shaz

N

nodabble

Just thought I'd post an update to this thread.

After reading the reply (above) that the Samsung 860 & 950 would display HD Jpegs I searched these forums only to discover an abundance of threads from people reporting problems with these players. So I took it upon myself to try a few alternatives...

First off, I bought a Philips 5960 from Argos (possibly what cooperda was referring to earlier in this thread) for £70. Viewing jpegs at 1080i was a treat! Clean, sharp pictures with no jaggies. :thumbsup: I loved it. Unfortunately the DVD playback left something to be desired because when watching 4:3 material it was fixed in 16:9 ratio. I also noticed interlacing lines on fast-moving object - although this could have been a set-up issue. Furthermore, the remote control was very unresponsive.:(

So I took it back and swapped it for a Panasonic DVD S52. This is a lovely, slick DVD player with more configurable settings than you could imagine. Unfortunately it only displayed jpegs in 576p resolution, regardless of what HDMI output I specified - so no good for me. :thumbsdow

So I took it back for a refund. And that's where I'm at today. Still in search of a decent DVD player that will display jpg pictures in hi-def.

My quest continues!

Top Bottom