best dvd player for a 32pw9617 tv

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by evans, Dec 19, 2002.

1. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Can anyone who owns a philips 32pw9617 tell me which is the best player for this tv. Im new to dvd players and not sure what is best to buy.

Also dont understand all this talk about component out, progressive scan etc. Salesman on the toshiba 32zd26 said the toshiba has component connection which gives great pictures. dont understand what component is though

Also progressive scan on the dvd player, will that help improve the picture quality on the philips 9617?

any views would be great

thanks evans:cool:

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your Philips won't accept Progressive Scan, hasn't component video input, so wouldn't let this trouble you.
    The matching Philips DVD634 is perfectly appropriate and is easily hacked for multi-region playback using it's remote.
    Ask your supplying dealer for the " package deal " saving as Philips fund a £40 discount when buying the two together.

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    gringott

Thanks for that Im glad you told me the info you see I actually am saving for this tv and waiting for the sales in january. Do you know if the quality would be affected due to the fact it doesnt have these features? Also some tv s like the toshiba 32zd26 apparently have this on their sets would the picture be significant to go and buy that tv.

would appreciate any info if you know anything

thanks/evans

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I prefer the Philips, have a look yourself, Toshiba is good too.
    The 32PW9617 has a fantastic specification, the Toshiba flickers in PS mode which you may notice or may not.
    No set is perfect, it's what you like that counts.

In particular the Philips has excellent picture quality , adequate surround sound and really superb teletext. The cordless rear speakers are handy though can buzz a little.

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Your right its ultimately the picture quality that you should be looking for and I was very impressed with both the philips and the toshiba but just feel the picture is slightly clearer on the philips and the philips has the 5.1 decoder on it and I dont have to falk out on an amp. Still want to look at the fq80 of sony but i think the price will put me off.

evans

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Another good choice.