1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD player for £500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigAl, Jan 7, 2002.

1. BigAl

BigAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone out there advise me as to what the best DVD player is. I am replacing my Panasonic A160 and willing to spend up to £500-600. I am not overly bothered by DVD-A or SACD as the battle for format supremacy isn't going very far, but don't see the harm in having either - but my main concern is DVD Video playback. I have a few players in mind (Pioneer DV646A, Toshiba SD500E, SONY DVPNS900 and Nakamichi DVD-10). However I am open to suggestions as I just want a DVD player that kicks ass?

Can anyone advise me if there is a DVD player that is the definative best within my budget, or does it come down to personal taste?

Also would increasing my budget to £800-900 yeild a substantial difference (i.e. Arcam Diva DV88 or Toshiba SD900)?

Cheers
    Confused in Edinburgh

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Not to sound too eager or pushy, but I have an Arcam DV88 up for sale (in the AV Hardware classified adverts section of this forum no less) if you are interested.

I'm in Glasgow, so if you wanted a demo I could easily arranage a time if your willing to make a trip west?

Link to thread -
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27747

3. geezajob

geezajob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a new multi-region Sony CX860 disc changer, which holds 301 discs for less than £500

Highly recommended if you expect to own more than one disc ;)

It's DTS compatible, has Component, RGB scart, Composite Scart, S-video outs, optical in, etc. etc.

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I have a Pioneer 646A and I am very happy with it
    I had a Panasonic RA71 for a few months & very not happy at all with it (long story - wont bore U)
    If DVD-A is a requirement (as was for me) the 646A is worth a look / listen
    If you look hard you'll get it multi-region for @ £400
    Good luck ;) Paul

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Check out...
    Pioneer 737
    Tosh 510 (due soon)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im very happy with my DVP-NS900V, the demonstrators in our local store where too and highly rated its DVD, CD and SACD playback. The store is highly reliable and stocks high end products so I trust their judgement, its hard not to when they stock a £6000 DD/dts(/THX?) processor (Lexicon). In particular they said the dts on-board decoding was very good, so if Sony have gone the extra mile on this you can bet they have in other places as well.

David

7. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody compared the Sony DVD-NS700V and NS900V? I am interested in their CD and SACD playback. Would like to hear the views. Thanks

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    Where is this shop near to Durham/Darlington/Newcastle??