Best DVD Player for £500/£600

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nate247, Apr 7, 2005.

1. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Hi guys,

After the initial help of the forum members here I have just bought a Philips 329986 LCD TV and now need a new dvd player to replace my Toshiba Sd520.

I have a budget of £600 topps and was wondering what players I should audition???

Music playback isn't important here, simply picture quality and a DVI / HDMI connector. Also if somebody could just clarify the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D (I think) that would be great as I think that my Philips TV has DVI-I and I notice some of the Denon players have a DVI-D socket, is this compatible???

Many thanks again and I look forward to any suggestions once again :)

Nathan :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Pioneer 868 so naturally suggest the 668 in your price range. :)

Re: DVI-D vs. DVI-I.

DVI-I consists of two sets of connectors, DVI-D (digital) and DVI-A (analog). On a DVI connector one end has two groups of pins, these are the digital signals, at the other is a small spade-like locating lug. On a DVI-D connector this is on its' own, on a DVI-I there are 4 pins surrounding it, these are the analog signals.

The digital pin layouts are identical on a these two types of connector, so you can use a DVI-D cable to connect equipment having either sort if all you want is a digital connection.

You also need to be aware of HDMI, this is a newer and eventual replacement for DVI-D. You can connect an HDMI socket to a DVI. If the sending device (eg. DVD player) is the DVI device then it will always work, the other way round (an HDMI player into a DVI display) it will work as long as the display's DVI connection supports HDCP (the encryption system used to copy-protect the digital signal).

HDMI can also carry audio but that isn't too common at present, it will become so.

This is important because the 668 and many new players are now appearing with HDMI rather than DVI sockets.

3. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thats great, thanks for the advice.

Altough aware of HDMI etc (been doing lots of reading up lately :( ) I just wasn't sure about the two variations of DVI.

Also I hear the term "Macroblocking" quite a bit in some posts, I am assuming that this is similar to Jpeging????

Also back on subject, has anyone seen the Denon 2910 in action or even own one??? I am keen to know if there are any draw backs or if it is actually as good as the press is saying!

Many Thanks,

Nathan

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Macroblocking is a flaw in the Faroudja deinterlacer used in current Denons as well as several other brands of player and some scalers, the 2910 suffers from it. It exhibits itself as 'blocks' of colour instead of a smooth colour gradient.

The Pioneer uses a different chip and doesn't suffer the problem, OTOH it does suffer another flaw, Chroma Upsampling Error (CUE). This is generally less noticeable than macroblocking. Like macroblocking, CUE affects many brands of player.

Both defects can be minimised by filtering, the latest top-end Denon does this but at £2500 you'd expect it to!

5. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Lol....... did take a look at the review on the £2500 denon and stupidly was tempted....... ;)

Fortunately or unfortunately my bank balance has just taken a pounding with buying the Philips TV, so for now its outta my price range and with Blu Ray & HD on the horizon I thought just get something solid for now.

So your recomendation is the Pioneer player at around the £600 mark. I will get searching now for prices and see what I come back with.

Thanks for the explanation on the differing problems with the technologies though :)

Nathan