Best DVD player for £150?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bigweed, May 5, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I am going to be buying a Philips 9618 TV very soon, and also wanted to buy a DVD player for the first time. I have £150 to spend on the DVD player, and was wondering which player would be best?? I was told that the Panasonic S75 is quite good, any other suggestions?

Also, the S75 has a component output. However, the 9618 does not have a component input socket. Is it possible at all to view a component image using the RGB socket, or any other way, or should I just buy a DVD player which does not have a component output as it will not be needed?

Also, the S75 outputs an NTSC progressive scan image. Does this mean that only NTSC DVD's will have their pictures output in progressive scan, and UK DVD will be output as interlaced component and not PS? If this is true, then if I bought a PAL/NTSC progressive scan DVD player, is it possible to view progressive scan movies on the Philips 9618, ie is it essential to have component inputs on the TV to view a progressive scan movie??

Sorry if these questions seem really obvious and stupid, but I dont have a really high level of AV knowledge.

Many thanks

Bigweed

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not familiar with the TV but to get progressive scan you need component inputs and the TV needs to be able to accept progressive scan. If you're just using the dvd player with your TV rather than an av amp and speakers then any budget player from Pioneer, Sony, Philips, Panasonic etc will be fine. You should only buy a multiregion model so that you have the option of buying cheaper or better versions of films from overseas. I would spend £60-£100 on one and then get a Thor scart cable as mentioned in the special offers forum.

I own a Pioneer DV360 and a Toshiba SD330 both of which cost about £70 and would be ideal.

If you have a Richer sounds store near you then look on their website at www.richersounds.com and if they have a dvd player you like at a good price print the page out and they'll honour the price in-store. Also ask them for a 3 year waranty which is only £20 and they refund that if you don't use it.

3. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone tell me what the best DVD player would be for £150? I will be using it via RGB scart, as I dont have component inputs. Any clues?

Bigweed

4. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    digital-point.co.uk are doing the Pioneer 565 for £149.00 including del and scart cable.

I got one recently and they are very good. Got a good review in homecinemachoice if I remember correctly.

Available in silver, but black was out of stock when I got it.#

5. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Digital Point are ok I guess, but the first DV-565A they sent me looked like an anvil had been dropped on it during shipping, it was totally wrecked. To their credit they replaced it, had to get silver no more black ones :mad: Then they never sent me an invoice for the replacement so I had to chase them up. They then sent me an invoice for the original squashed black player and I now had a silver one :mad: After more phone calls I eventually got the correct invoice/receipt sent! Mine was £160 for a multi-region one. Great player though! I wasn't really impressed with Digital Point and would probably pay a little more to get it local next time (provided it wasn't to much more!) I guess I have been unlucky, but not sure I would use them again. Having said that they are great compared to PRC what a pile of crap they are!