1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Player Ever £299

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mambo, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Mambo

Mambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  2. [Slip]

[Slip]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    says £499.99 for me

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Me too. No DVI either ;)

4. Mambo

Mambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    8.30AM this morning it was £299, must of been a mistake !

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    That is one awesome DVD player. Must resist but I'm rapidly weakening !

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  7. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just to keep mambos sanity, I too followed his link first thing this morning and it was in fact there flashing at £299, must have been a quick correction!!
    If only I didn't already have too many players:(

8. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    £299 also on my link. But remember, a couple of years old, no PAL progressive scan...
    DVD technology now provides awesome results for a pittance. My money would stay firmly in my pocket.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Not sure if it's the best ever...

10. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  11. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As far as Denon are concerned my 1910 appears to be flawless!

For £100 less than that Tosh.

12. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  13. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'd save my money until next year and get a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player.

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Granny I have to agree - well I ordered one today as well :D £299 all incl P+P

Just for the Audio side of things this player is a stonker of a unit and worth the spondoolies alone if you believe CD transport into DACs are essential then this baby has 170 spec of jitter (I dont FWIW), has switchable levels of upsampling, XLR 2 channel outputs (been looking for a while at XLRs into my amp), can be used as a DAC for 2 external components via digital inputs (Toslink + Coaxial) Will see how my DAC + Freeview box gets on with it. I have loads of HDCD discs and DVD-V material in music form. FWIW Im quite happy with RGB Scart at present, and Im sure I will be very happy with the "normal" component output when fired towards a component display.

FWIW It does not have DVI the manual calls that connection a D1/D2 digital connection only relevant in the Japanese market, not the DVI we have in the UK.

FWIW The guys who seen it as £299 were right, it was a "weekend" deal that went back up to £499 today, I asked for the £299 deal and it took a bit of humming and hawing but £299 and the lack of PS is a tad trifling, especially with that drawer mechanism !!!

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    At £499 my fingers were hovering over the buy button all day.

At £299 all I can say is there are 7 left now. :)

I have the SD900E and it is the best DVD player I have ever used. The interlaced output on it puts progressive on lesser players to shame. In actual fact I prefer it to progressive on my display devices and I cannot fault it on a 9ft PJ screen. Blistering imagery, tank like build and a loading mechanism that is the epitomy of smooth. There is a PAL PS update available for the SD9500 and it can be modified to MR, I'm sure LE concepts offer this service as well as Paul Taylor and Romford DVD Library. Only the SD900 did NOT have a PAL PS mod available but the SD9500 can be. The SD9500 got a bit overshadowed at the time because it cost so much more than the SD900 with not that much technically over it. But the ability to modify to PAL PS was one of the benefits.

CJCross I can assure you, this is an AWESOME deck that firmly belongs in the all time hall of fame, no question.

There are some things in life that are simply born great, believe me the Toshiba is one of them, in my eyes it has never been bettered apart from by the likes of Tag. This has just made my Xmas, a £2k machine for £299, I'd gladly pay that just to say that I have one !

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    EStar

As a man who has nearly bought the SD-900 on a few occassion you dont have to tell me how great it is bro, although your vibes on the interlaced output is "music to my ears", thanks for the HU on the upgrade service via LEC and the other outfits. You know more about the visual skills this device has than me dude, but take it from me the audio spec of this device is pretty stunning & special, XLR anlg outputs, and the ability to act as a DAC are pretty stunning to these hifi influenced ears, will do some demos with CD/HDCD/DVD-V and DVD-A (plenty of these at my local library) and compare to my current TAG DAC.

I may end up bugging you in future dude when I go to look at Plasmas/LCDs or Component input CRTs displays. Right i need to go and order some cheapo XLR leads for the new beast, and a S-Video - RGB convertor (old telly Im afraid)

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    CJRoss, I run a HS20, a Z1 and am just waiting on a HS50. I have run this SD900 thing through my plasma as well which will scale it progressively anyway. I have used PAL PS players and they can't always handle the 9ft image as they should. The SD900 doesn't even break a sweat, nor does it bother me to go the HCPC route.

I can assure you the interlaced output has never been bettered, pushes PAL PS right to the limit and is the stuff of legends. You might just prefer the interlaced out of it as many do, it's blisteringly detailed and as sharp as a razor ;)

The fact is the SD9500 is PAL PS modifiable and is a better machine. Just use your predatory skills and do some hunting. Once done it'll be the last word in DVD you will ever mutter.

18. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I've just ordered one - they even guarantee delivery before Christmas. And free postage to hoot !

Just need to find somewhere to mod it now.

Only one thing concerned me - it stated in some of the reviews that there was a Luminescence filter incorrectly applied to S-Video/Component - that had to be software patched - I presume this will have already been done ..... ?

I think Build Quality will be a bit better than my Pioneer 575 - which feels like its made from paper.

Thanks to OP :)

Mark.

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Have you got a link to that review about the mention of the luminance filter ?

20. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
  21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes you can use those RCA-BNC adaptors no problem.

That firmware fix off cd will enable the 9500 to become PAL PS. Toshiba shipped machines should now have latest frimware on them anyway but they may have disabled the PAL PS on latest revisions.

You will want to find a dealer that had been issued with that disc when the original problem came out and take your machine down there !

In actual fact if they let me pick up the machine from factory I may insist to talk to technician and to get them to do it tomorrow. Got to be worth a try !

22. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Thanks for the answer re BNC adapters.

Not too worried about PAL Prog. at the moment as TV will only take Interlaced - but will want to get it multi-region modded at some point.

As a work-around till I find a place to do it - I can always "backup" my original R1s onto DVD-R as R0 or R2 - if I desperately want to watch any of them.

Mark.

23. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ekko you seem like the man to ask some simple questions about Interlaced component output : in the meantime I will be using the S-Video connection on the SD-9500 but in future will upgrade my display to a device that features component input.

Right dummy component question here :

Do I just buy a display that has component input, quite a lot of jargon has the fact that displays these days have component input for PAL PS but will normal interlaced output work fine in these displays ?

--------

A request to the dudes thinking of modding (PAL PS/MR) this player in future can you guys keep details if the companies you speak to and costs invloved in this thread for future reference ?

24. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes normal interlaced works just fine through component. To get PS you can only use component inputs. That's the only difference.

I think you will like S-Vid as it is though in the time being. Toshiba have always been very special with their S-Vid outputs, very special indeed. Top drawer stuff and have never been bettered in this department from what I believe. ;)