Best DVD Head Unit to base System on

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by bodhi, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bodhi

bodhi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

I am scanning the marketplace for a new single DIN head unit to form the basis of a complete system including Navigation, TV etc. I would also like the ability to have good control over an ipod, mp3 playback from DVD, and a decent touch screen interface for the whole lot. Ideally i'm after a 7" screen, but 6.5 would be ok. 5.1 surround isn't really a requirement at this stage.

I have been looking at Alpine (IVAD310RB) and Pioneer (AVHP5700DVD) but note that Kenwood also have a large range of good looking units. I also considered the Pioneer AVIC X1R, but although it is supposed to be good in general, there are a lot of grumbles about it's iPOD support, and i'm not convinced about the ultimate flexibility of an all in one solution like this (although I may be wrong here). I know that Pioneer are shortly releasing a new range of AVIC head units, including one that is Bluetooth enabled (a very attractive feature).

Can anybody recommend one particular unit? Is the Navigation system from any one brand supposed to be superior?

Cheers.

2. turboDean

turboDean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought and fitted an Alpine IVA-D310RB and am very impressed with it, cost £690 brand new, delivered. from ICE Clear Out tel: 0208 123 8661

3. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree with Dean, Alpine IVA D310R, or even the 300 which turn up on ebay from time to time.

4. Krystal-ice

Krystal-ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the alpine does have a quality screen. And you can get a lot of really good alpine add-ons.

The pioneer AVIC 1X is a really good unit that has everything in one unit. The quality is good, not as good as the alpine but its a very neat all in one unit