1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best dvd/HDD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SOUNDSTYLE, May 17, 2005.

1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Does anyone have one of these recorders which they are completely happy with, and where everything works as it should, and there are no software problems?
    The main makes to look at I've found is:

Sony
    Philips
    Panasonic
    Pioneer

I have a Philips VCR at the moment and like all it's features and how they interact with each other. A lot of thought as gone into how a consumer would use their VCR.
    My brother on the other hand as a Sony VCR and I'm glad I haven't got one of the those. One irritating feature of the Sony is that when a recording is in progress, you can't input a timer recording for a later date, without stopping the current recording first. How stupid is that?

So I'm not too sure which make to go for. I've heard that the Philips 720 model as got some software problems and that there are problems with all the others aswell.

Digital recorders are great, but only if they work, at least with my analogue Philips recorder, I have 100% reliability (unless I do a mistake) which does not seem the case with these new digital recorders.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Strike Philips from the list due to limited features and suspect reliability, and add Toshiba to it and your looking at the current market leaders. Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature to see which is best suited to your needs. What is your budget?

You'll certainly appreciate the jump in quality offered by a decent DVDR on a 36" CRT from your humble VCR!

In which case avoid Philips models like the plague - every generation of their DVD recorders has run into significant reliability problems. The forum has a few Philips zealouts who will tell you otherwise - but do a search of the forum and the internet to see the true extent of the problems.

3. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    'which dvd recorder': what a great read.
    I think I'm going to wait a bit until someone sorts the epg feature out.
    I'd love to get one now but I want everything to work.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    You won't have long to wait. Panasonic and Sony are both releasing models with the Freeview EPG integrated into their design. The Panasonic EH60D and Sony RDR910/1010 models will be available by October. JVC are also adding EPGs to their DVD recorders (albeit Guideplus).

Cheers. The set-top DVDR market is a bit of a mess what with seven DVDR formats that all function differently on set-top units. Hopefully it sheds some light and enables new buyers to pick the unit that is best for them.