best dvd hd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sefton, Oct 24, 2004.

1. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking for the dvd recorder which does all thebelow but not sure if its out there or is planned.

I plan to buy a dvd recorder in Jan 05 and I want it to have:

A hard drive
    multiregion
    progressive scan
    sacd/dvda
    dolby/dts

Is there such a beast available!!

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    No DVD recorders with SACD support yet - all the Panasonic models have DVD-Audio though. All your other requirements are provided by most HDD/DVDR combos: Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC etc.

3. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks....I'm a bit confused with dvda/sacd....Do you have to buy cd's with dvda or can you buy normal cds and play them on your dvd player?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    DVD-Audio and Super Audio CDs are high defintion music formats that require compatible hardware to play. Neither have really grabbed the imagination of the public (or even many music fans) who seem quite happy with CDs. All DVD players/recorders will play CDs.

5. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, maybe these two formats are not going to take off then! I will have to do a bit more research.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    As main stream consumer formats I doubt it to be honest. I think they will survive - albeit for a niche market. However even many enthusiasts think that with a top end CD player can achieve equally impressive audio. There usefulness is futher limited as currently you cannot 'rip' the contents to a PC/music server. But then people managed without that functionality for years anyway. I think the fact DVD-Audio at least is 5.1 multi-channel means it has a future.

7. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there no cd players on the market which are 5.1 multi-channel? Or is the whole point of DVDA/SACD that this is the only format which will output 5.1?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    CDs are stereo - although many amps can do various effects on them to make them 'surround sound' if you so wish. DVD-Audio is the only true 5.1 format though.

TBH if you want a decent dit on the DVD-Audio/SACD formats you should try one of the music forums. I haven't adopted either format yet as I am very happy with CD.