1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD films to show off projector!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by transm, May 8, 2005.

1. transm

transm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed a great deal of difference in DVD quality. It might depend on the player but R2 films I was extremely impressed with some films but not others.

PhoneBooth was a good one and I was also impressed with one of the Indiana Jones Trilogy films (the one with the poison and antidote at the beginning). A lot of films are quite grainy though in general although it doesn't really bother me. Some films just stand out more in terms of the picture quality.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You are right, there is a big difference in quality but as a general rule of thumb the more modern films tend to have better PQ as you'd expect.

If you have a dig about this forum you'll notice that pics tend to feature Nemo, Incredibles, and Monsters Inc.

Read into that what you will... PJ :)

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Monsters inc, Finding Nemo an The Incredibles all complete digital transfers and will show off any projector at it's best.

If you want to show how good live action can look though then try I' Robot on R2 as the transfer is stunning. Return Of The King EE is also a good one.

I have got it down to a short list when friends come round who have not see my projector in action. I show the first robot battle scene in The Incredibles, the freeway robot fight in I' Robot and the House Of Blue Leaves on the Japanese Kill Bol Vol.1 (unless my kids are around or friends kids are in).

Also use Final Fantasy R1, Pirates of the Caribbean R2 and Hellboy Directors Cut R1 quite a lot too.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Hero is absolutely stunning. It's like they designed it to show off your PJ.

I also agree with the above. Nemo etc... are brilliant films to show off your projector.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Eh...you mean you dont let the kids watch this... :rotfl:

6. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I use the car chase scene from Bad Boys 2 to demo mine to friends. Great visuals and sound.

Also second the vote for Hero, stunning to look at, just not enough explosions to work the sub properly :)

7. Davy

Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fire up 'Behind Enemy Lines', scene 6 SAM Attack and just watch those boys try and outrun those SAM's. The DTS soundtrack adds to the excitement and lookout for the black leather around the pilots helmet for how good the pq is.
    Davy

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My suggestions for showing off your projector are Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets ( forget the third one as it contains edge enhancement and has a worse picture although its still watchable ) also try Universal Soldier UK edition, perfect picture quality, I Robot is good although long shots have edge enhancement which spoil it, closeups look superb, also try Welcome to the Jungle, fantastic pic quality, for Region 1 try Star Wars Episode 2 or Dinosaur all pretty hot transfers.

Region 3 try Tomb Raider - Cradle of Life, almost perfect transfer.

Avoid films like Kill Bill and Pirates of the Caribbean as the edge enhancement totally ruins it ( assuming you notice it, once noticed ur always notice it ) generally speaking animated films look superb, The Lion King UK Edition is superb, some of the Disney animated films have edge enhancement though it is worse on region 1 discs than region 2.

I watched X Men 2 the Japanese region 2 edition yesterday on a 106inch screen and it has one of the worst transfers i have yet seen for a big budget hit movie, loads of nasty edge enhancement and a thin layer of digital grain over the entire movies running time, add to that a negative for Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Region 1 and Aliens both of which are absolutely terrible transfers. The age of the film doesn't always determine how good the transfer is and if you want the best then try buying Universal Soldier UK edition, best transfer i have yet seen and its several years old.

Black Hawk Down the superbit edition is superb too ( i have the region 3 edition ) Pearl Harbor - Directors cut Region 1 edition, Training Day Region 1, Vertical Limit - Superbit edition, Hollow Man - Superbit edition, Alien - from quadrilogy boxed set, The Matrix Trilogy Region 1 ( all superb ) Godzilla - Superbit edition, Blade Trilogy, Daredevil - directors cut and The Insider, Braveheart looks good too with no edge enhancement and just a few specks on the print, avoid turning the sharpness up on your projector as this adds edge enhancement.
    The Indiana Jones transfers are ok but i noticed several scenes where the transfer goes from sharp to soft and there is some grain, perfectly watchable but nowhere near as good as some discs out there.

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    I agree with I Robot, excellent transfer.

The opening car race in 2 Fast 2 Furious has both excellent colours and blacks, as well as a pulsing soundtrack.

SW Ep2 and all the animation stuff mentioned previously is also excellent :)

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    No, I dont want all those bright reds hurting their delicate young eyes ;) :rotfl:

11. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Are you referring to the Japanese Kill Bill ? I have never really noticed edge enhancement on this title but will have to go back and look now you have said that (you may have just ruined it for me ..lol)

Agree with Black Hawk Doown R3 Deluxe Superbit too as well as the R1 Pearl Harbor Directors cut....watched both of these last week for the first time on the projector and the picture was stunning on both.

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    hmm what did i use.....Swordfish (as advised by Cap B ;) )is the best for my eyes imo, closely followed by LORT EE's, I-Robot, 2 fast 2 furious (pish film) & The Matrix Trilogy. im one who dosnt agree in showing off animation like toy story etc because it looks good on anything. hell my old portable in the loft through composite will make monsters inc look good.

13. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, when I got my projector I was a little dissapointed with the new Star Wars trilogy DVD rerelease. Slightly grainy, plus the screen size was not the best setup on my fairly incompetent DVD player. Fair enough, it's (mostly) a 30 year old film, but wasn't as good as I hoped. More annoyingly though is the subtitles. Just doesn't quite fit on the screen. So you basically have to flip between modes when they talk in an alien language. The subtitles basically don't show on the film, they appear underneath in the black border area. You know, the bit where you have manipulated to be off your screen :( Does this happen in the same place for every DVD player, or is it just my dated DVD player? Annoying though, cos it's part of a (expensive at the time) technics Hi-Fi, and it will only do Dolby Digital from the DVD (no external source). I mean can you set it up on different players so that the subtitles appear on the actual film, and not below in the black border?

Saying that, I then played Starship Troopers, and that was pretty much perfect. Filled up the screen just right, and the quality was excellent. Ah. Denise Richards at 104". Mmmmm.

Cheers

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    That's the same for all the starwars films and loads others, personally I'd rather it there than covering the picture.
    The star wars trilogy look awesome on my pj. I use the empire strikes back as one of my main demo discs.

15. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's pretty good, but not *quite* as good as some other, more modern, films I reckon. But no, I'd rather have subtitles at the bottom of the image, in white with black outline. Can't go wrong then.

I know it's that way with most films, but is there any method to change where they appear? Or is it based on the DVD player, or hardcoded to the DVD itself?

Cheers

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    "The Day After Tomorrow" is a good movie to watch on a projector.

17. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I watched this the day before yesterday..I think....or after...or is that Monday next week..blah blah blah :) :) :)

18. pal

pal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The two Robbie Williams Concerts - Live At The Albert Hall, and Live At Knebworth are filmed in High Definition meaning the quality of the Discs is superb. However it is very much a subject of taste (and they are not movies!)

19. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I choose these for great picture & sound:
    Cypher - particularly the brainwashing sequence with the psychodelic colours
    Alien SE
    Windtalkers - e.g. the card playing scene or the first land assault on the occupied island
    The Score
    The Cooler

They've all got good transfers.

20. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For bad transfers - i havent seen much worse than Mission Impossible (the original)

21. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The two worst transfers I’ve seen are Ocean’s 11 & Cool Runnings.
    The car chase scene from Bad Boys 2 is what I use to show off!

22. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition which has I think a 1080p version of the film and dolby ex sound to go with it :)

23. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any updates on good quality picture live action films?!

It's been 5 months since the last post, and there must have been some beauties out since then.

The picture on Revenge of the Sith was described as 'as good as it gets', so I guess thats one to put on the Christmas list!

24. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Was watching a bit of the new release of Titanic last night.

Very impressive PQ...PJ

25. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The most visually impressive scene I've seen on my Z3 so far is the the opening scene of Insomnia where the plane flies over Alaska.

Very disappointed with the PQ of Spiderman - the colours seem way off.

26. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Bit embarrasing this, but Cher's farewell concert is really impressive :rolleyes:

27. fasterthanjesus

fasterthanjesus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would superbit films be the ideal showcase films? i.e fifth element ????

28. Major Payn

Major Payn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In terms of PQ and quality transfers, Criterion Collection tend to be excellent. Some early transfers were a little ropey but have greatly improved. On top of that you tend to get excellent extras. Although they tend to be a little more expensive.

29. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It often occurs to me (while I'm spinning stunning transfers such as Fifth Element or Gladiator Superbits for visiting friends) that they would be no less impressed with a poor quality transfer. While I'm silently marveling at stunning sharpness, blacks, excellent colour etc, they are completely unaware of what they should be looking for to define a great picture. Absolutely nobody else saw any improvement from the picture quality of my HS10 to the filtered Z3, and there was a significant improvement. So, in reality, for most demo's, unless the transfer is really bad, I think the choice of material is irrelevant...but then, where's the fun in that? :)

30. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Lord of the Rings - The Collectors Edition has each film on 2 discs, and is a really high quality encoding. It's probably the best transfer of any film onto DVD that I've seen. It looks absolutely awesome on a projector, which is why manufacturers often use it for their demos. O Brother Where Art Thou also looks stunning on a PJ.