1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Dvd drive that is easily made region free?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Iain Shields, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having just built my new pc, I'm getting fed-up with just using my old cd-rom drive and am looking to get myself a new dvd drive. As I would like to use my pc in my home cinema setup, I would like my new dvd drive to be region free.

What are the advantages on making the drive region-free? Or am I just better off just leaving the drive unmodded and using a software solution (dvdgenie? I think it's called) along with my dvd playing software (free copy of WinDVD 5.1 I got with the mobo)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what drive to get, and what way to go in regards making it region-free?

p.s. I would like the drive to be black in colour if possible (but I'd be happy to go for white if there's a dvd drive that stands above the rest in terms of quality and is only available in white)

Regards,
    Iain.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Most drives have to have their firmware moded to be region free, along with Windows, and whatever DVD software player you use.

DVD Genie or Regionkiller will do the software, but not the drive, though I believe the latest Regionkiller will take care of that too, but you now have to pay for it.

For firmware, try here:

http://firmware.inmatrix.com/

I use a Liteon 163 which is quiet during DVD playback, and easily firmware upgraded to region free. I think it's been replaced with the 165 now. Not available in white though as far as I know.

Gary.

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5