Best DVD Dolby/D. 5:1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jerry, Jul 4, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can someone nominate a DVD with really good Dolby/Digital effects so I can check how my set up is.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Hi

Worth doing a search on this as its come up countless times.

For the record its worth checking out Saving Private Ryan, Atlantis, Titan AE, The Fifth Element, Fight Club, U571, Star Wars - The Phantom Menace.

They should test your system out well enough.:)

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting article in HCC this month, they use A.I. to show how good your speakers are, or not!

I found mine lacking in some areas!

DaveP

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As above I'd also add Toy Story 2 and Gladiator for DTS. For a bit more of a subtle test I'd try unbreakable.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although, don't magazines have a vested interest in ensuring you're never fully content with your sound/picture in order that you go out and buy more kit from their advertisers....?

I often think using 'demo' sequences actually makes you feel underwhelmed with your system and a bit demoralised. An example is the Pod Race in TPM, it just doesn't actually sound that great anyway in my opinion, far too many quiet moment where literally nothing is happening. I don't even really like the sound design on Anakin's Pod's engines. To me, the best bit is when the Tuscan raiders are firing at the Pods.

I know everyone uses and thinks TPM is reference for surround sound, I personally feel something like 'Fast & The Furious' is a better 'show off' soundtrack as it is constant through all speakers and features more natural sounds (ie ones we ACTUALLY hear on a daily basis).

Sorry if I've upset any huge TPM fans or sound 'experts', it's just that I've been in too many people's houses, have them tell me they're going to blow me away with the Pod Race and then they turn round at the end of it and say 'Hmm, maybe I need a new amp'...

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this not show off the dynamic range of the soundtrack?? Quite moment followed by thundering bass and engine noises.

IMO, DD is not all about explosions and gunshots. It's about making those quite subtle moments sound real as well.

7. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I"d go along with that army bloke ;)

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    t2 for a good mixture-a particular favourite is when arnie treads on the roses-also check out the sprinkler outside johns foster parents home.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fifth Element (R1), there is always something going on in all the channels. Great IMHO, even it's not the Superbit version!

10. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always try the DD trailer that precedes a few films. Its only about 10secs long but leaves feeling like you've just sat through a sonic roller coaster.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Does this not show off the dynamic range of the soundtrack?? Quite moment followed by thundering bass and engine noises."

Yes, it's handy to show that your amp can reproduce no sound very well, in fact, even the cheapest amps can be shown to reproduce no sound as well as the most expensive.

Joking aside, I just think the Pod Race scene is overplayed and overrated as a demo sequence, sorry.

12. BoilingPoint

BoilingPoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always find that ... The Fast And The Furious ... is great for testing your setup (5.1 or DTS), also Gladiator is another fine example of what a decent setup can do. ;)

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they can. But can they go from quite to loud well? Do they give you the "what the f**** was that" factor? "Cheap" amps will show the strain of going from 0 to 100db in 1 second whereas the "expensive" amps will not. (For my words, substitute "cheapest" and "expensive" for "good" and "poor")!! Some cheap amps are actually quite good, while some expensive amps are actually quite poor. Money dosen't always buy quality in this game I'm afraid.

14. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Enemy at the gates.

Blade- especially the scence in the night club you cna hear people whispering behind you.And the best bit is when he throws the disk thingy.It goes round you!!!!!!!!!

15. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For testing effects which go between speakers- Aki's Dream from the Final Fantasy r2 bonus disc is good. Best overall sound I have heard so far is Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton) region 1 disc. Lots of excellent effects epecially the crash landing- but excellent sound throughout the movie. You feel as though yopu are in the middle of loads of charging apes. This is of course a thx certified discs. Most of them have optimizer test sequernces.

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Harts War. There is a scene of a dogfight above a POW camp. Thundering Bass, machine gun noises, planes crashing and all sorts. Lots of dynamic quite moments as well.;)

17. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The depth charges in U-571 (DTS) for giving your sub a thorough workout. Or annoy the neighbours...

- Tom -

18. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the thread is called "Best B]Dolby Digital[/B] ":confused:

19. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll listen to it in DD tonight and edit my post tomorrow :D

For pure Dolby Digital then I'd also have to say Final Fantasy and Titan a.e.

- Tom -

20. Mike Bell

Mike Bell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The World is Not Enough - Bit where there chasing Bond thru the trees in the mountains for sound clarity.

Independence Day for your sub - Take ure pick for suitable scenes, there's plenty of 'em!

I'll certainly 2nd the Fast and the Furious + Gladiator for DTS. Also Hannibal for a more "subtle" testing sesh on DTS.

Cheers

Mike

21. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    My vote goes for almost any film with sound design by the current "daddy" of film sound - Gary Rydstrom.

You can't beat him for dynamics, steering, overall detail and expressive use of sound as a cinematic tool. He also invented Dolby EX. He rules.

Just a few of his projects:

Minority Report
    Attack of the Clones
    Monsters Inc
    Artificial Intelligence: AI
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Toy Story 2
    The Haunting
    Phantom Menace
    Saving Private Ryan
    Toy Story
    Jurassic Park
    T2

Basically pick one or all of those films and you will not be disappointed by the sonic experience (if your system is up to scratch ;) )

22. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are we forgetting DAS Boot?

Underwater sounds, creaking etc. really rocks on this. I'd say it's better than U-571. (It's also a much better movie).

23. wurzel

wurzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are these region 1 or 2 as I haven't come across them.

24. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Sorry, i got a bit carried away up on my "Gary Rydstrom Soapbox"!

Monsters Inc will be available early September, Attack of the Cones in November and Minority Report could well be out in time for Christmas(TBC).

But all the other movies i listed should be available right now at all good stockists.

25. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Most of the movies mentioned above are all 'actioners' with lots of bass and surround effects.In my opinion 'Amelie' is an excellent soudtrack with loads of neat little sound effects virtually all the way through the film.

26. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    A Beautiful Mind is another with a very good soundtrack, lots of subtle sounds, echoes etc. Excellent film as well.:)

27. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try deep blue sea, all channells fireing most of the time. ;)

28. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Didn't Ben Burtt do Attack of the Clones? I know he was the sound designer for the rest of the Star Wars films. He came up with the sound for the Millenium Falcon, the Pod Racers and the Light Sabres etc. :confused:

29. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i just watched event horizon and that sounded fantastic!
    BTW, dont you think that Aninkin's pod racer sounds like a formula 1 car, or is it just me???

30. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Ben Burtt is credited as "Sound Designer" on the Prequel Trilogy and the Special Editions of the Original Trilogy, and as "Special Dialogue and Sound effects" on the Original Trilogy, and Rydstrom is credited as "sound re-recording mixer" on Episodes 1 and 2, but the sound definitely has his unmistakable signature to it. From the depth of the rear soundfield to the thunderous sub-bass, it totally says Rydstrom to me.

In fact if you watch the documentary on the Phantom Menace dvd, you'll see that Burtt is more hands-on in the film editing, but seems to be doing more of a supervising role on the sound mix, whereas Rydstrom seems to be doing the actual sound mixing.

You are right that Burtt recorded and invented most of the Star Wars sounds like the light sabers etc. But in terms of mixing, the Prequels are years ahead of the Originals (although i haven't had a chance to have a proper listen to the OT Special eds, which Burtt supervised and Rydstrom was not involved in).

No, its not just you, many of the pod racers have racing car sounds elements in them, most noticeable in the revving at the start, and in the side-on wideshots, they really do sound like racing cars. (Stems from Lucas' childhood car racing obsession which almost killed him in his early twenties)