Best Dongle to use for Freeview play

tamtoot

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good day all,

My sister-in-law has a new Samsung 40" UE40KU6020 HDR TV and a
Panasonic DMR-HWT 10ER PVR. All bells and whistles onboard both units...
Both set-up fine and working OK but limited as she has no internet service, so she is unable to get Freeview Play/BBC iPlayer etc. She's an elderly lady who cannot use a computer..

I would appreciate any ideas on how to obtain cheap internet/wifi service to enable her to watch Freeview Play, iPlayer etc. She does not want BT or ANO provided line rented service.

Would she be able to buy/use a dongle of some sort on her TV/Box?

Your assistance is appreciated.
Tamtoot

A pay as you go broadband dongle would be expensive for streaming tv...does she have a neighbour who has internet ? If so she could ask if she can use her signal (password) and get a cheap wifi dongle

Welshman68,
Thank you for your swift response.
It is a semi detached property so very close to the immediate neighbours router.
Neighbour might be wary on the cost and security issue. Any idea on the rough cost for this occasional streaming, bearing in mind her favourite programme is QVC...- yes I know!
Will first have to convince neighbour that monthly cost and overall security are not critical.
Your estimate is welcome. Good news is that they are quite friendly with each other.

Thank you.
tamtoot

Sharing Costs: If neighbour is on unlimited, then there will be no additional cost. Whether SiL might contribute to their monthly cost is up to them.
Security: Routers can often be setup with guest access, which only allows 'guests' to have access to the internet and nothing else on the network.
QVC on Freeview Ch 16;)

TJT1,
Many thanks for that kind response.
That could resolve her problem. Worth a try.

Thank you,
tamtoot

Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.

Just had a quick look at EE 4G dongles. £12 for 2GB/month.:eek:
(Other suppliers and tariffs are available). Doesn't seem very cost effective for streaming to me, especially as you can get their unlimited fibre 38Mb/s broadband including calls for £28/month or 17Mb/s for £19.50

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom