1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DLP projector for £2500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Prav, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Prav

Prav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone,

I'm after the best DLP projector for a budget of around £2.5k although I can stretch to £3k.

Thing is it's all new to me and I don't know which brands / models or even specs to look out for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    What will your main viewing be? If it's standard definition, then you probably won't need a 1280 x 720 pj, so just look at the 1024 x 576 pjs.

What size screen and viewing distance? Projectors have different 'throw' ratios, so one pj may fill your screen in your room, but another may not.

Sim2 Domino 18H is a nice pj £2200 IIRC), but there are quite a few out there in your price range, so try to demo a few. If you cannot have full light control in the room, you may nee a brighter projector and a grey screen. With full light control, lumen output is less of an issue, depending on how bright you want the image to be.

Try www.ivojo.co.uk for a list of other manufacturers.

Gary.

3. Prav

Prav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Gary. I'll be viewing mainly DVDs - but want it to be HD future-proofed.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    hi Def is either 1280 x 720, or 1920 x 1080. Curently there are no 'affordable' 1080 pjs out there, but that might change at the end of the year.

For a 720p DLP, you're limited to the BenQ 8700+ at around £2166 (Ivojo), and the Sharp XV-Z2000 at £2600+. Not sure what else there is at that price range. Look at Ivojo's site for more details. www.ivojo.co.uk

Gary.

5. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  6. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A Screenplay 7200 would just sneak into your £2500 budget provided you can still find one anywhere now they are discontinued. I have one and it really is a very impressive machine particularly for the new price.
    The 1280 x 720 native resolution means that it's HD ready so you shouldn't have to upgrade for a while - always a bonus. Oh and it has a fantastic throw ratio too which was ultimately why I ended up taking it over the 5700 model which was unable to fill my 7' screen.

7. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the sharp z2000 at the bristol show (and a load of other stuff too) If that were my budget, that's what I'd demo first.

8. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The Sharp XV-Z2000 is a great projector if your budget will stretch to it. I'd say picture quality is, by a small margin, better than the BenQ (processing and optics are slightly ahead) but the BenQ is cheaper and has a better warranty.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd also say the Sharp z2000 new model is something to audition, it was pretty good adn possibly the best at this price range presently. I've no idea what you can screw out of the dealer though to make it fit your budget....