1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DLP projecter!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anders_UK, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As part of my job I have done a major evaluation of all SINGLE chip DLP's...I have to design a planetarium using a cluster of 13 of them.

Just thought you guys would want to know that the best I came across was the Projection Design F1.

It is SXGA and nearly 2500 Lumens...

I don't work for PD and normally use the Barco R6's and Galaxy's but this thing is brilliant and all for £5k! You could have a cracking 2 channel home cinema with these things.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ooh, shiny and bootiful! :)

But surely in a planetarium, with mostly a black background with lots of little bright points of light, the rainbow effect would be particularly noticeable?

For instance, my friend's Sharp M20X DLP with DDR DLP chip, 12 degree mirrors and 3X colour wheel looks fine with most scenes, but whenever you've got a dark background with small points of light (or, say, white text on a black background), the rainbow is still blindingly obvious (and annoying).....

Dunc

4. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is where my expertise comes into play.

Can't tell you any secrets but the contrast will be around 30,000:1 plus PD do a super fast colour wheel with even more segments to help reduce the colour break up.

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anders_UK,
    This is very promising. Can you please, if possible, post more elaborate explanation of your findings and give a list of other projectors that you have found worth of mentioning.

Is the expertise you are employing to achieve 30,000:1 contrast applicable only to DLP projectors?

6. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. I have developed a 3 chip LCD projector which has a contrast of around 80,000:1.

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anders_UK,

"80,000:1' is this achieved as a 'modification' to a particular standard projector make or do you built your own brand of LCD projectors?

Is there a place/time where I can come and see the techology, assuming it is applicable for home cinema use?

You also said that you selected Projection Design F1 for the planetarium project and that you are achieving 30,000:1 on that projector.

Would the expertise you are offering be affordable to a reasonably advanced domestic cinema, i.e. what budget would I need to consider if I am to buy Projection Design F1 and employ you to make it 30,000:1 contrast in my setup?

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.

How are you measuring your contrast ratio? 80,000:1 sounds like a very impressive figure. I would be interested to know how it was arrived at and which measuring equipment was used to determine this figure.

What is the dynamic range of your system?

John

9. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Measuring it compling with the specified industry standards, using a Minolta spot-photometer (1 deg spot)

Dynamic range - well as I am sure you are aware this will vary across a number of inputs and how well the user sets the projector up. I'm not sure if there is a recognised method for measuring dynamic range apart from trying to display a 260 bar greyscale test pattern.

10. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anders_UK,

Can you give some more information as to how much would setting up a projector using your expertise costs?

11. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a native 16:9 chip though, or am I missing something?

12. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not just the physical set-up of the projector that gets the contrast ratio so good, I actually design parts to alter the optics within the unit itself, and other people do the electronis stuff which go towards helping the overall performance.

I don't think that this particular projector will be used in home cinema applications as it has been developed for use with Night Vision Goggles on military sims, but with enough sales opportunities you never know. Plus I'm not sure of the final cost either.

13. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting confussed. The thread started with:

"I have to design a planetarium using a cluster of 13 of them (Projection Design F1)."

but you now said:

"it has been developed for use with Night Vision Goggles on military sims"

What are you trying to say?

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    He works for a company that does projection systems, for flightsims, VR and lots of other stuff.

I'll let him fill in anything else.

15. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same engine/chassis can be used for a number of different applications. Originally my research was for the planetarium/entertainment market but with a simple mod, I can achieve superior contrast which can be used for NVG's.

Hope this clears things up for ya.

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Excuse my ignorance ( :blush: ) but if this pj is not generally available for the likes of Joe Public why post this in here in the first place?

I don't understand. Please enlighten me.

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The one it is based on is, and it's always nice to know what is possible with modding.

There is a HC friendly version coming out soon that uses a HD2 DLP chip at 1280x720.

18. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The normal of the shelf unit is!! The F1...the original post. I was then asked questions on which I answered, wasn't my fault we went off topic!

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    OK, I did say excuse my ignorance. Thanks.

20. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Anders_UK

Looks like you have a great job :)

I see that you have moved your location from Portsmouth to Leeds since the start of the thread?

Now that you are in Leeds, would it be possible for a Demo of this technology? I am less than 50 miles away, and would love to see what this projector is capable of with a good HTPC [ have HTPC, will travel ;) ]

Thanks,

Mark.

21. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well it read so promising and if one needs night vision goggles to really see dark scenes, than blacks must be 'blacker' than on CRT projectors.

Is the home entertainment modification completely out of reach?

I’ve re-read your original posting and noticed another interesting comment: "You could have a cracking 2 channel home cinema with these things.". Can you please clarify what did you mean by this comment?

22. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to disguise my identity from co-workers, and potential P45 stuff!!! Come from Leeds originally but work in the South now.

OK, firstly...they can't be blacker than a CRT.

2 Ch home system...the increase the performance of the system..brightness and resolution mainly, whilst still having a very large screen. Utilised the 5:4 aspect and overlap the two images giving you the 16:9 aspect, gives you twice the pixel real estate minus the blend region obviously.

23. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I understand you now. With '2-channel' you mean using a dual projector set-up as for example Panoramtech.

I'm still trying to comprehend the notion that you can achieve 80,000:1 contrast ratio with projector that itself is 1,000:1.

24. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some very clever stuff in there!!

Will let you know more when I have patent approval.